Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Turkish Brothels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkish Brothels Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I went into the "Gents" of my local pub the other day and noticed that the landlord (presumably) had been rather over-enthusiastic in his use of air freshener. There was a very strong, cloying, fake-flowery smell in the air.

Another customer walked in and exclaimed, "Cor, it smells like a Turkish brothel in here!"

Thinking about this, I wondered why a Turkish brothel? Are they well-known for their odour? Do (say) French brothels smell much different? Enquiring minds want to know.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should do some first-person field-testing, Arnie!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
arnie, the term in the States, I believe, is "smelling like a French whorehouse (or cathouse)".

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Thinking about this, I wondered why a Turkish brothel?"

This is nothing but a wild-ass guess, arnie, but could "Turkish" be associated with the notion of an opium den? Thus "Turkish brothel" conveying both sexual and narcotic?

posted Hide Post
I always wonder how they know what a Turkish (or French) brothel smells like, and I always ask.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always ask
That was something that occurred to me, too. However, asking personal questions of strangers in pubs is rarely a wise move; especially strangers who are nearly a foot taller and twenty years younger, as this particular guy happened to be.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, when Turkey joins the EC (possibly next year) they will have to ensure that their brothels meet all relevant EC legislation, including that relating to odours. As is well known, permitted European odours differ in several important ways from those permited outside the EC.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
I always wonder how they _know_ what a Turkish (or French) brothel smells like, and I always ask.

I thought guys generally never talked to one another in the restrooms . . . something about using trough urinals . . .

well? what DO you guys DO in there, anyway???

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post