Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Hot headline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot headline Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
An article in The Oregonian had the expression, "...thermal heat: in it. Is there another kind of heat? Does my local rag know something I don't? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Tautology, I would say.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
thermal heat: in it. Is there another kind of heat

Dead heat.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were referring to this article, the online version doesn't contain the phrase "thermal heat". I did find a real estate listing that mentions "geothermal heat", which is perfectly proper.

That being said, the article in question uses the phrase "thermal energy" over and over, in a very loose manner. It isn't the fault of The Oregonian though. The project being described is the culprit.

When I was looking at it, the BREAKING NEWS at the top was:

Rock strikes, injures youth hiking at camp in Hoodoo Ski area.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good question. Of course, a dog goes into heat, but I can't imagine they're worried about that distinction. I think Richard is probably right (this may be a first! Wink)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The study of taut: ...... tautology.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post