Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Animal words revisited
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animal words revisited Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Our old animal words thread has been locked so I am starting a new one.

I recently found this wonderful site about octopuses that explains that an octopus has haemocyanin-containing (copper-based) blood, rather than it being carbon-based. Further, they have 3 hearts and a jet propulsion system. Interesting creatures!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Haemocyanin blood uses copper in lieu of the iron on which hemoglobin is based (not in lieu of carbon).

Not to suggest that I knew this before pursuing the wonders of what can be found on google. I wonder how such completely distinct systems evolved.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, Kalleh! I was going to correct you on the plural of octopus, as I have only ever heard octopi. But upon looking it up, I found, "octopus has two plurals: octopuses (pronounced AHK-tuh-pus-iz) and octopi (pronounced AHK-tuh-pei)." Is this a regional thing? Confused

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Morgan! My original post was "octopi", but the URL called the plural "octopuses" so I edited it.

For the U.S. spelling should it be "hemocyanin", instead of "haemocyanin"? It is "hemoglobin".

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
HW Fowler states in Modern English Usage that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses", and that "octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic."

Octopus was originally a Latin word. Most Latin words ending is -us form the plural by adding -i, but in fact the Latin plural of octopus was octopodes, hence Fowler's comments.

However, octopi has become so widely used most dictionaries accept it as an alternative plural to octopuses.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The cook adjusted his tie
He was upset and didn't know why
He lifted the lid
And perceived there a squid !
He'd meant to bake pure octopi

The Namers of Things were frantic
And facing a problem gigantic;
They'd dubbed octopodes
In all possible modes
But they knew octopodes was pedantic.

Guard dogs of the Animal Den
Were off duty, and sleeping, and then
Occurred an invasion
Of the Limerick persuasion
Who are lacking in Haemocyanin Eek

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
Haemocyanin blood uses copper in lieu of the _iron_ on which hemoglobin is based (not in lieu of carbon). ... I wonder how such completely distinct systems evolved.
Octopuses (Hate the way that sounds) are the results of early not-entirely-successful breeding experiments between giant squids and Vulcans.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Korean sister-in-law. She taught me how to cook a number of Korean dishes, but I had to go to the Korean supermarket to get ingredients. One afternoon I stopped by her house to drop off the kids so I could run up to the market by myself. She gave me a grocery list of things to pick up for her. As it was written in Korean, I just handed it to the owner when I go there and she filled Chong's order, while I picked up my items. Imagine my horror, when she packed the dried octopus next to my daikon! Razz That was the last time I agreed to pick up food for her. ( I also never ate anything she prepared without asking what it was after that! )

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post