Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camp Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I recently read an article that said Susan Sontag's "camp" is one of the "few linguistic innovations" in the last 40 years in English. I can't understand the logic of that! It seems as though we see new coinages everyday.

Sontag says that "camp" is a broader term than that associated with homosexuality. How do you use it? Also, she capitalizes "camp." Is it supposed to be capitalized?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Quinion says that the gay meaning of "camp" could either come from the French (because many think that all things risqué come from France); a dialect word, camp or kemp, meaning "rough or uncouth;" from military camps (where gay men might advertise their availability); or the slang use of camp, meaning a male brothel.

Does anyone else know any more about this use of "camp?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Well, Susan Sontag certainly makes a meal of that!

I had always understood Camp to be the slightly effeminate posturing and speech of those connected with some parts of the entertainment business - especially the stage.

Julian and Sandy from "Round the Horne" http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/comedy/progpages/horne.shtml seemed to me to exemplify Camp at its best.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
More from Julian and Sandy:

Jules and Sand's bona tribute pagette

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post