Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

indults Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Apparently Pope Benedict is relaxing the restrictions on celebrating mass in Latin. I hadn't even known there was a restriction, so I am behind the times in Catholicism. In reading about it, I found a new word, indult, which means dispensations allowing priests to conduct mass in Latin. It seems strange to me that they'd need dispensations for that.

If you scan the article I posted about it, you will see a sophomoric Latin pun that I suppose most students have heard; still it's kind of fun: Semper ubi sub-ubi, or "Always where under-where!" Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes. I've gone to one or two Tridentine masses at St Dominic's in San Francisco. It's a grand, old Neo-Gothic Catholic church, that makes an appearance in Greed by Eric von Stroheim.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
"Tridentine" sounds like a new brand of chewing gum.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Semper ubi sub ubi

Evan Morris, "The Word Detective", uses that motto on his site. It used to be quite prominent, but the latest revision shows it in small letters only on his Home Page.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
in·dult –noun Roman Catholic Church. a dispensation granted often temporarily by the pope, permitting a deviation from church law.
[Origin: 1525–35; < ML indultum n. use of neut. of indultus, ptp. of indulgére to indulge]

In other words, an indulgence-- first time I've heard such a word outside of a historical discussion on the abuses of the church which led to the protestant reformation!!

Seriously, folks, it's nice the pope has decided not to punish too severely the old fogies who have to sneak like underground hippies to secret locations to hear mass in Latin! (I have a friend who does that regularly...)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post