Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Thought Leaders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought Leaders Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
So what are all these "thought leaders" about? Suddenly I see this phrase all over the place, and recently I was asked to speak as a "thought leader" at a conference in California. Is this a new phrase or have I just missed it? How thoughtful do I need to be? Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure. I am rather dismayed by the willingness of people to accept being told what to think rather than thinking for themselves.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The other new phrase I've heard at recent conferences is having "fishbowl conversations." In fact, at this conference the "thought leaders" are going to present and then take part in a "fishbowl" conversation. Sometimes I feel as though I am on Mars. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Perhaps as "thought leader" you would represent/champion a particular point of view.

I expect the "fishbowl conversation" would be similar to a "round-table discussion" between you and the other thought leaders, with an audience that observes, but does not participate in the discussion.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

posted Hide Post
quote:
the "fishbowl conversation" would be similar to a "round-table discussion" between you and the other thought leaders, with an audience that observes, but does not participate in the discussion

"Fishbowl conversation" - Now we have a term for those people who talk on their cell phones in public. I often want to drown them!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just received another email about this fishbowl, thought leader conference. The format is a World Cafe one. When I told the facilitator that I liked the idea of the fishbowl conversations (except that I have to be one of the fishes!), she said, "Of course. It fits in beautifully with our World Cafe concept."

Only in California. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Assuming that the "media" (all of them) are somewhat lemming-like in looking for anything which might grant them a momentary edge....

I daresay that "thought leaders" are people with enough mind of their own - AND a desire for public attention - to say and do things which have not yet occurred to the sheep.

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just don't see why we have to make up more words and confuse things. On the other hand, I do realize that language evolves, which we talk about quite a lot on this discussion board.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was recently at a fairly large meeting (circa 100) where we split up into discussion groups of around half a dozen, each sitting round a table. One of our group introduced herself as our 'facilitator' and proceeded to lead the discussion. I assume she could also have called herself a 'thought leader'. The term's a little too close to 'thought police' for my liking.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I will be at the world cafe, thought-leading, bowl of fish conference soon, so I will tell you Arnie. However, my impression is that "thought leaders" are those who have ideas about how to change health care (or whatever the subject is that they are "thought leading"). At least in this conference, they seem to have facilitators, too, and the "thought leaders" are the speakers and the members of the audience.

posted Hide Post
My thought leader is double-plus good!

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of our group introduced herself as our 'facilitator' and proceeded to lead the discussion. I assume she could also have called herself a 'thought leader'.

A facilitator (which I am) will facilitate in various ways some of which will need leadership. However, a facilitator who leads all the time will probably not be fully effective.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post