Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    to eng or to en
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

to eng or to en Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
We've discussed before how the sound at the end of gerunds and present participles in English represented by {ng} (/ŋ/ a velar nasal) in the suffix -ing is a single sound, and how for those who pronounce this final sound as a simple alveolar nasal {n} /n/, they are not really dropping a g but substituting a different nasal sound. What I hadn't realized until today was that this eng {ŋ} was one of seven new letters (and one ligature of two existing letters) proposed by Benjamin Franklin as part of his proposed spelling reform (link). While living in London in 1768, Franklin wrote A Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling (link) which he latter published in his 1779 Political, Miscel laneous, and Philosophical Pieces.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I wonder why he "lost interest" in it. It surely seemed as though he was linguistically talented.

In the second link, there was a letter to Mrs. Deborah Franklin, and I see he spelled "though" as "tho," among other things. Funny, now we see the peevologists ranting about that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I see he spelled "though" as "tho," among other things.

And, more often than not, assigning this abbreviation / respelling to teens using txt.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post