New
Find
Notify
Tools

kwyjibo Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
quote:
Language purists may regard the spread of Simpsonisms as another example of the craptacular erosion of the mother tongue. But the mark of a living language is the ability to absorb strange new accretions. Any tongue that can absorb the language of Homer is in robust good health, and any word that embiggens the vocabulary is perfectly cromulent with me.

[An article in the Times Online mentioned in a posting on Language Log.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, thank you very much. I have corrected my grievous error. I hope it didn't cause too much pain.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, did somebody delete something? If not, I am confused!

It's just another example of how language evolves. I found it interesting how Liberman made a couple of off-hand comments and now he says he may " become famous as the source of this quotation..." The quotation was that "the Simpsons has apparently taken over from Shakespeare and the Bible as our culture's greatest source of idioms, catchphrases and sundry other textual allusions."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, did somebody delete something? If not, I am confused!

Yeah, somebody took me to task for having fat fingers and mistyping. Of course, some people never make mistakes. More power to 'em!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
The amusing idea to me is a language purist regarding anything as "craptacular".

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose he was trying to be ironic since the word was coined by Bart Simpson...

Yes, zmj, let's hope we can get beyond typos here. From what I've seen, everyone here has made mistakes from time to time...some of us more than others.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Why hasn't my coinage, "etrahation" caught on as a synonym for the current state of pedagogy? If Matt Groening can do it, I oughta be able to do it!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Why hasn't my coinage, "etrahation" caught on as a synonym for the current state of pedagogy?

There is a word from the verb in question: extraction from Latin extraho (extrahere, extraxi, extractum) 'to pull out; drag out; waste time'. I guess you could coin etraction, but it sounds like something one does on FaceBook or MySpace

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The article claims that lupper is a Simpsonism.
    [T]he term 'lupper', coined by Homer to refer to a large, cholesterol-laden meal midway between lunch and supper, is so valuable I am amazed no one invented it before.
No so. The New York Times used it in 1983, and it can be traced back in print sources at least as far as 1970.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post