Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Can I borrow a loonie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I borrow a loonie? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Those Canadians are so cute! They have loonies (dollar coin) and the two-dollar twonies. It made me think what other funny names we might have for money, like the "buck." Others? How about across the pond?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Joey, tanner, bob, half a dollar, quid, lady, monkey, pony.

No, we've never had any strange names for our money ;-)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's one of our very early threads (August 2002) on this subject. It features what appears to be Bob's first post. See here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have a loonie somewhere in my jewelry box from when I was in Canada for a re-enactment years ago.

Thanks for that link, Arnie - it's fun to go back in time and see people's beginnings.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Those Canadians are so cute!

Why thank you!

posted Hide Post
Looking back at those old posts, Arnie, I saw that Shufitz had said the U.S sliver 3-cent piece was called a trime, so I looked it up. Here's a quote from a short Wikipedia article (bolding added for emphhasis):
quote:
The three cent coin has an unusual history. It was proposed in 1851 both as a result of the decrease in postage rates from five cents to three and to answer the need for a small denomination, easy to handle coin.

Decrease in postage rates? I never heard of such a thing!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Antique postal rates ..... brings to my ancient mind a memory of a radio announcer who often said ...... "Just write your name and ADDress on a penny postcard and send it to Kolorbak, that's K O L O R B A K, Del RIO, Texas. It's a scientific solution for artificially coloring gray hair. Put a few drops on your comb and run it through your hair a few times a day. Even your best friends will never know you ever had a gray hair in your head. <singing> Pepsi Cola hits the spot, twelve full ounces, that's a lot, twice as much for a nickel, too. Pepsi Cola is the drink for you. </singing> And now here's Hank Williams ......and so on. (Equis E Ele O -- XELO -- en Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Republica Mexicana)

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, Goofy, I forgot you were Canadian! Do you have threenies, too? Wink

Arnie, it was fun seeing Bob's very first post! Wow, it has been awhlie, and a lot of us have stuck. That Melody person was really Morgan in disguise. There was a lot of that during our beginnings because we just didn't have enough people. However, I have only been Kalleh since I've been here. Morgan and Shu had fun dressing up, though. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Interesting to see, looking at those old posts, that the system has automatically updated the profiles. I am shown as being from Partridge Green - whereas in 2002 I was actually still living in Reigate.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the system has automatically updated the profiles.

That's because the pages for these threads are not static and stored somewhere, but generated dynamically whenever somebody accesses the URL. The text, poster, and time when posted are all stored in a database and the page is generated on a when-needed basis. That's why the signatures and the total number of posts that one has posted all change, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It seems from a short check that that was my second post.
My first one was a couple of quotes about statistics.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd check out something else...

Do you realise that it was his seventh post before Richard mentioned beer? I wonder what took him so long.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
And here I stumbled into this thread thinking that it had something to do with Monty Python.
Spot the loonie!

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You never know, do you, TrossL? On the other hand, with the way threads meander, it may go that way. Wink

The one part of old posts that don't seem to change is the signature. In that 2002 thread, Bob's is Habent Abdenda Omnes Praeter Me ac Simiam Meam. I have no idea what it means, but I like it!

I was telling Shu today that it's interesting that I said, "Welcome to our abode." I'd probably not use that word abode today.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you realise that it was his seventh post before Richard mentioned beer? I wonder what took him so long.

How singularly remiss of me. I will try to make up for the omission.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Habent Abdenda Omnes Praeter Me ac Simiam Meam. I have no idea what it means, but I like it!

Everybody's got something to hide except me and my monkey.

(My Latin is all bluff really. That's from a book called "Latin For Even More Occasions" by Henry Beard)

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
And what sort of occasion would bring the need for that phrase? (giggling)

~Dalai Lama

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Dear, oh dear CW, your education is sorely lacking. Five points to the first person to identify the origin of the English phrase.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's a song from the Beatles' White album. See Wikipedia.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
plus 5 points for arnie but minus ten points for a link that just tells me that wikipedia has no such article.

Overall minus 5

The correct link is here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, you are reminding me of CJ when he used to post here. Remember all his points? Wink

Is arnie ever wrong?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I blame the forum software. The link I posted has an extra ' in the title: Everybody''s. I can't see how it could have got there otherwise since I copied and pasted the link from Wikipedia.

What is frightening is the date of the album: 1968; almost 40 years ago. I well remember buying it and listening to it for the first time open-mouthed. I am getting old! Red Face

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
1968; almost 40 years ago

Well that explains it. I was only 4, and I can guarantee you my parents weren't buying Beatles' albums. LOL

I've listened to the Beatles, of course, but have never been a huge follower. I've never owned an album or anything.

*ducks quickly to avoid being hit by thrown objects*

~Dalai Lama