Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    red herring redux
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

red herring redux Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Michael Quinion has a lovely article on the origins of the phrase red herring.
quote:
About 12 years ago, in the early days of World Wide Words, I wrote a puzzled piece about the origin of red herring, something that distracts attention from the real issues. A study of the entry in the Oxford English Dictionary, coupled with a little knowledge of fox hunting and some reading around the topic, made me wonder if the usual story about its origin was correct.(link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, z. When I read about etymologic misunderstandings like this, I always wonder how many more there are. I assume this will be corrected in the OED.

I had no idea it was related to the expression neither fish nor fowl, which apparently evolved from neither fresh fish for the clergy, nor meat for the mass of people, nor red herrings for the poor to neither fish, nor flesh, nor good red herring (later, fowl was added or replaced flesh).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm surprised that the smoking of the herring had nothing to do with it, since heavy smoke disguises vision.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post