Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Blushing Crimson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blushing Crimson Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
While looking up something in Harvard's student-newspaper, I found this on the website's search-page:
    The Harvard Crimson reserves the right to begin charging fees for access to the archives without notice.
Does this mean I might have to notify them to get free access? Wink

But let's be charitable. One can't expect much from a Harvardite, who of course wasn't smart enough to get into Yale.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
One can't expect much from a Harvardite, who of course wasn't smart enough to get into Yale.

Just imagine if the current US president had matriculated at Harvard. The bind muggles.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting letter to the editor of the Yale Daily News that certainly illustrates that Harvard/Yale controversy. In this one, I'd say Yale wins, hands down!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Here's an interesting letter to the editor of the Yale Daily News that certainly illustrates that Harvard/Yale controversy.

Where?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shu, thanks for this thread as ambiguous wording is one of my pet peeves. I always read it wrong the first time. Not just Harvard and their ilk but major news organizations like AP are also guilty

K: Yes, where

Apparently you neglected to provide the link, but I can commiserate because I find the process of linking arduous and confusing

...something like restoring the spellcheck flags in Windows/Word, should require one or two keystrokes at most but at last count required 18

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz: But let's be charitable. One can't expect much from a Harvardite, who of course wasn't smart enough to get into Yale.
As you may know, I'm a Yale man.

Recently I was reading about the the largest deer ever. the magnificent Irish elk (which is not exclusively Irish, and was not an elk). It survived until quite recently, becoming extinct in less than 8,000 years ago. Its antlers, regrown each year, could be as much has 12 feet, tip to tip, and weigh up to 90 pounds.

I quote without further comment the words of eminent naturalist Stephen J. Gould: [edited, per wordmatic's note] "For those who enjoy invidious comparisons, the largest antlers in America are at Yale; the smallest in the world at Harvard."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Shu!

Ah, yes, I forgot the link I had found. Here it is. I'd say that Harvard loses on that one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I quote without further comment the words of eminent naturalist Stephen J. Gould: "For those who enjoy invidious comparisons, the largest antlers in America; the smallest in the world at Harvard."

huh?

OK, I just googled it, and you dropped the words "are at Yale" after the word "America." Now I understand.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
"For those who enjoy invidious comparisons, ..."

Quoting from page 86 of that same book, Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural
history
(New York: Norton, c1977, reissued 1992):
quote:
The largest antlers grace the entranceway to Adare Manor, home of the Earl of Dunraven. The sorriest skeleton sits in the cellar of Bunratty Castle, ...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
[QUOTE]I quote without further comment the words of eminent naturalist Stephen J. Gould: "For those who enjoy invidious comparisons, the largest antlers in America; the smallest in the world at Harvard."

SJ Gould was a Harvard Professor, holding 2 Chairs, I believe, which just goes to show the honesty and modesty of Harvard.
[I speak with slight vested, albeit transAtlantic interest in this good-natured banter.]

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post