Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Made me chuckle and groan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made me chuckle and groan Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
On a FB page I follow people have been complaining about the local council spelling on signage in the area. I had to laugh at this.

"I work for the council. I no what they are like."

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh dear!

In their defense, sometimes when I am typing fast I will use the wrong "their" or "no" or "it's" - and it's just a slip that I didn't catch. However, being a sign, let's hope I'd catch that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think you misunderstood. That wasn't on a sign, that was someone complaining about inconsistent street name spellings on council signs.

Sadly, it isn't a one-off. Most posts on there contain spelling, grammar and punctuation that make my head spin.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
That wasn't on a sign, that was someone complaining about inconsistent street name spellings on council signs.
But they're on "council signs," right? So aren't the misspellings on signs? Maybe I don't understand "council signs."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
What I was originally commenting on was the irony of spelling "know" as "no" while commenting on someone else's spelling error.

posted Hide Post
Maybe the bloke is a contrarian who vetoes the Council? Makes sense that way, no?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I was originally commenting on was the irony of spelling "know" as "no" while commenting on someone else's spelling error.
Yes, of course. It certainly was ironic.