Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    These folks need help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

These folks need help! Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This from a small Indiana library website: At no other place in the world can you visit one place with such a vast amount of knowledge and plethorically resources. Please come visit us.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Plethorically resources?" What do you suppose they meant?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, Dictionary.com gives two definitions for the adjective plethoric:
1. overfull; turgid; inflated: a plethoric, pompous speech.
2. of, pertaining to, or characterized by plethora.

I'll take a guess that they meant the second, but used the adverbial form, plethorically instead.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Arnie, I suspect they didn't have a clue as to what they were saying! Here's the link to the site - it's at the bottom center: http://www.bell.lib.in.us/

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I took a quick look round the site and noticed several instances of poor writing or phrasing. It might have been an idea to show the text to the library staff before publishing it ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post