Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Brit speak anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brit speak anyone? Login/Join

posted
My husband has recently gotten me interested in a show on TV called "Junkyard Wars"! I know...laugh.... big grin

But, this particular show is filmed in Great Britain and there it is called "Scrapyard Challenge"! I find there are many terms they use on the show that it takes me a bit of time to figure out.

Some of them, I am completely clueless on though. So, from time to time, if you Brits don't mind, I would like to post some of the words, and have you explain to me what they are!

Sometimes, I am sure, it is just a matter of understanding the pronunciation. Today, they were talking about a particular brand of car. It was pronounced Jog-you-are. Took a minute to realize they were saying Jaguar which I would pronounce with only two syllable: Jag-war with the a in jag as a long a, and the a in war rhying with far, car, bar.

Oh the fun of the language we share!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In UK English "U" is usually pronounced as "yew" or "u" (as in "up"). "W" is pronouced as in "wick".

Hence the small but important difference between "Jagwar" and "Jaguar". And seeing as though (before Ford brought the firm) it was a British enterprise) we should be right!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Jaguar". And seeing as though it was a British enterprise, we should be right!
You were the earlier but not the earliest. smile Maybe we should ask the Tupi, if we can find any. wink

>>> jaguar - 1604, from Port. jaguar, from Tupi jaguara.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who owned a '89 Ford Tupi. It got great gas milage but shed like the dickens!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bodge! Or bodger. We have heard both words used on Junkyard Wars. It appears when they get close, but don't have time to finish a project, they bodge it. I don't think there is a corresponding term here and it's not one I have ever heard anywhere other than on this British show. Can you enlighten me?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the original meaning of the term "bodger" is that of a maker of chairs - the tradionaly wooded type.

It is now more commonly used as a variation of "botch", which means "...to repair or fix in a haphazard and rushed manner..." The implication is that a bodged job will probably not be satisfactory.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post