Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Invasion Names
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invasion Names Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
From The Last Great Victory by Stanley Weintraub, detailing the last months of World War II. Code words to be used during the invasion of the Japanese homeland were discussed.

“Someone in the planning staff was clearly an automobile aficionado. ...The beach zones around the two claws of lower Kyushu ... were Taxicab, Roadster, Limousine, Station Wagon, and Town Car. The two zones in the bay itself were Delivery Wagon and Convertible. The eastern beaches ... included Austin, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, and Cord. The southestern beaches were DeSoto, Duesenberg, Essex, Ford and Franklin . The west beaches were Zephyr, Winto, Stutz, Studebaker, Saxon, Rolls-Royce, Reo, Pontiac, Mercedes, and Maxwell. To their south were Plymouth, Packard, Overland and Oldsmobile. Beaches in the bay were Locomobile, Lincoln, LaSalle, Hupmobile, Graham-Paige, and Hudson. Beach subdivisions were... Brakedrum, Windshield, Cylinder, Dashboard, Gearshift, Headlight, Hubcap, Mudguard, Rumbleseat, Sparkplug, and Toolbox.”

How many of those cars do you remember? I recall that a Maxwell was Jack Benny’s car on his radio show.

For added points, without looking it up, what was the name for the invasion which never occurred?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Hupmobile?" What's that?

I think it's funny the way "old fashioned" station wagons are being replaced by the same thing...just renamed to "SUVs."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're not really the same thing. A station wagon is a car, has an automobile chassis, and is designed to be driven on public roads. An SUV is considered a truck, with a truck chassis, designed (at least theoretically) to be driven off-road. Station wagons are usually 2-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. SUVs typically have 4-wheel drive capability. Crossovers, I understand, are really station wagons.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily, Tinman and Kalleh. The origin of "SUV" has bugged me for years, but at last I found it. Crosley originated it in 1947. Theirs was a light two wheel drive station wagon with a canvas rear cargo/passenger area. Also, keep in mind that the early large four wheel drive utility vehicles such as the Jeep Wagoneer (Original version), and the International Travelall, were billed as station wagons, but were built on a truck chassis.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post