Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Warlpiri rampaku (or Light Warlpiri)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warlpiri rampaku (or Light Warlpiri) Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
This article on Warlpiri rampaku is fascinating. It is a new language with unique gramamatical rules. It is not simply a combination of words from different languages because it has native speakers. Nor is it a new language that combines two separate tongues. The children of this village developed an entirely new language. In the video Professor Bakker (from the Aarhus University in Denmark), says that it is likely this has happened with other languages. Here is a quote from the June issue of Language that provides some linguistic background:
quote:
The structure of Light Warlpiri overall is that of a mixed language, in that most verbs and some verbal morphology are drawn from English and/or Kriol, and most nominal morphology is from Warlpiri. Nouns are drawn from both Warlpiri-lexicon and English-lexicon sources. The restructuring of the auxiliary system draws selectively on elements from Warlpiri and several varieties and styles of English and/or Kriol, combined in such a way as to produce novel constructions. It may be that when multiple sources provide input to a rapidly emerging new system, innovative categories are likely to appear.
At this point the language is well established and could even replace Warlpiri, which the elders would like to preserve.

I think the best question is why this language developed. As was stated in the article, new languages usually develop when people have no common language, which gives rise to pidgin or creole. But that isn't the case in this community. So why was this new language developed? And by children? Interesting!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I think the best question is why this language developed. As was stated in the article, new languages usually develop when people have no common language, which gives rise to pidgin or creole. But that isn't the case in this community. So why was this new language developed? And by children?

It might have happened because the kids were not learning "proper" Walpiri and in speaking with their elders they came up with a kind of creole. I don't think the current generation "invented" Walpiri lite. probably the generation before theirs and then they learned it so it became a language and not a pidgin/creole. The primary reason for the "invention" of new languages is the need to communicate.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The NY Times article states that Light Warlpiri is only spoken by people under 35. That really seems strange to me, particularly when they call it "well established." I wonder if that's accurate.

I know, zmj, that a language usually develops because of the need to communicate, but they already had Warlpiri or Kriol, and apparently some English. I suppose it could be called a "kind of creole." While Dr. Bakker calls it a new language, I could see aspects of creole.

I think it intriguing that Dr. Bakker thinks it likely that other languages have been invented by children. I would have liked to heard more about that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post