Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    From the Ministry of Funny Words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the Ministry of Funny Words Login/Join

posted
Borrowing a line from Monty Python here, I wonder why we don't have a thread for words that simply sound funny? We do now!

Schlagbaum, the German word for turnpike, strikes me as delightfully silly sounding. I found it while searching for German and French loan words in Russian. In Russian it looks different (шлагбаум) but it's the same word. So, while slogging along the snowy schlagbaum, cogitate on what funny-sounding words you know.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Love the idea, Geoff. I was trying to think of some and then came across this site. There are some funny ones!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your link leads to "bumfuzzle," which is used in a sentence about the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" football team. I looked at their roster and found that not one in twenty could even remotely be Irish. That bumfuzzles me! Besides, they pronounce the school "Noter Daym," so it seems they have an identity problem.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've always thought titillation was a silly sounding word.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I've always thought titillation was a silly sounding word.

As is lallapaloosa.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've always thought cantilever to be silly too because I think of a lovesick Italian saying, "I can'ta leave 'er!"

posted Hide Post
If your soap is sticking out it's probably a Cantilever Brothers product.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I also find lilliputian silly.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
As a poet, I note that many silly-sounding English words have the "ih" sound. In writing pootry, one tries to be aware that the English 'ih' sound generally suggest narrowing, constraint, diminuation (as opposed to English sounds suggesting deeper emotions, such as 'oh', 'ah', 'ow').

I love 'persnickety': just pronouncing it causes one to purse the lips and raise the nose, reflecting the meaning of the word.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, "persnickety" is a great one, you are right!

Also "Wabbit," meaning "exhausted" is silly to me because it seems like it should be "rabbit."