Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Small, Medium, Large
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small, Medium, Large Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Dave Barry recently ranted about the sizes of Starbucks coffees, and I have to agree with him. As he says, at Starbucks, "Tall" means small; "Grande" means medium; and "Venti" means large, though Barry says, that for all we know it really means "weasel snot!" Seattle's Best Coffee uses the same terminology, though they call their large coffee "Grande Supremo." Dave says that you shouldn't use the term "Grande Supremo" unless you are "...addressing a tribal warlord who is holding you captive and threatening to burn you at the stake."

He says to just say "small," medium," or "large."

He says if we don't, soon we will have to ask for a "Mega Grandissimaximo Giganto de Humongo-Rama-Lama Ding-Dong decaf!" And, then of course you will have to ask for the key to the "AquaSwooshie." He adds that when that happens, the terrorists will have won. Wink

I don't feel quite that strongly about it, but I do ask for "small," medium," or "large." However, it is probably because I never remember their fancy terms.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned this before but one of the things I find amusing is products that have a "medium" size or grade but don't have a "small". My favourite example is that (in UK supermarkets) many brands of bread can be bought as "medium sliced" or "thick sliced". I often ponder in what sense this can be considered "medium". Similarly my local supermarket sells its own brand eggs as medium, large and extra large relegating medium to the meaning of "smallest available".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
This seems closely related to the thread where we discussed nice as well as discussing the difference between trainers and consultants.

Everyone has to have a spin on things, I guess. I love Dave Barry's observation . . . but my big problem in Starbucks is that I feel that I need a translator for the entire menu - can't I just get a coffee . . . black??? I know it seems so very wrong, but I like it simple, dark, plain, bitter, oh yes . . . and decaff. Roll Eyes

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I have a solution: I don't frequent Starbucks. Down at the local mom and pop espresso joint, I just ask for small, medium, or large. BTW, I believe it's vente (as in a wind).

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
BTW, I believe it's vente (as in a wind).

That makes more sense! I looked up "venti" and found it to be an Italian word for "20.

Here is a link to Dave's article.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the link!!!!!!!!! I particularly like the idea of carrying pepper spray for annoying "repeat tellings" of stories. Of course, for the person I would use it on, it might bring about a need to hire a divorce lawyer . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post