Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mu Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was googling around for something and found this fun Web site with some interesting words. I liked Mu, a Chinese word that means "not yes, not no" or "this does not have any meaning." Definitely an ambivalent word!

I also liked the Washington Post words where people were asked to supply alternate meanings for various words, like abdicate meaning to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach. I bet you could come up with some good ones!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Mu came up in yesterday's Skin Horse strip.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Japanese, 無 mu is "(1) un-; non-; (2) bad ...; poor" or "(1) nothing; naught; nought; nil; zero; (pref) (2) un-; non-". In Korean, 무 mu seems to be a negative prefix. In Chinese it's 無 wú meaning "without, not". Doesn't seem ambivalent to me.

posted Hide Post
What about the Greek letter? It has scientific meanings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G...CE.9C.CE.BC_.28mu.29

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, I see in your link they talk about the "mobius function." Is that where "mobius strip" came from? I've always been intrigued with mobius strips.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Not directly. The Möbius strip and Möbius function are both named after the same man, August Ferdinand Möbius.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And yet it is a mathematical function . I have always been intrigued by the mobius strip.

<Proofreader>
posted
I didn't want to start a new thread but check this out.

I missed one, so I guess I'm Defective-American.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I didn't want to start a new thread but check this out.

According to that quiz, buckaroo is from
quote:
Buckra, meaning someone with power or knowledge in the Efik language of West Africa, which passed into American English via Barbados Creole

This isn't true. buckaroo is from Spanish vaquero "cowboy".

<Proofreader>
posted
Buckaroo is actually Australian. It's the amount you pay to have sex with a wallaby.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The information in this quiz is from Richard Bailey's book Speaking American. The OUPblog provides an excerpt from that book where Bailey argues that buckaroo is from Efik. The OED editor Katrin Thier responds.

Note the difference between Bailey's and Thier's arguments. Thier tries to account for the differences in stress between the English and Spanish word, and mentions how buckaroo first appeared with words of Spanish origin. Bailey, on the other hand, provides no actual evidence of a connection between buckra and buckaroo; he simply talks a lot about buckra and how it was used, and discounts the accepted etymology for no apparent reason.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thier also seems more open for alternative explanations, while Bailey seems more set.

posted Hide Post
How about the Ancients of Mu?
*shickers*

The English had hit upon a splendid joke. They intended to catch me or to bring me down.
(Manfred von Richthofen-The Red Baron)

Posts: 6 | Location: United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post