Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roshambo Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I came across the word "roshambo" for the game "rock, paper, scissors," and then found a fascinating history with the game. It apparently started early in Japan, though claims of as early as 200 BC haven't been substantiated. However, it became popular in the mid-1700s in Europe where, for some reason, it was associated with Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, Comte de Rochambeau, and that's how it became called "roshambo" or "rochambeau." It apparently is a serious game. Indeed, there are tournaments and championships!

Have you only called it "rock, paper, scissors," as I have? Or, as the Wikipedia article stated, have you ever said "Ro! Cham! Beau!" when you played?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having had an impoverished childhood, I've never played it, but have heard it called both.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I remember it being mentioned in an episode of QI. Apparently in some places it's also known as "fargling".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I have heard it called by both names, and I played it as a lad. Ah, those halcyon sald days of yore. We folded cootie catchers, too, and hexaflexagons. I have heard that there is an augmented version of Rochambeau that uses lizard and Spock as additional weapons.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Good lord. I thought that was some kind of esoteric joke that I didn't get ZM but ten seconds googling informs me that there is indeed the five option variant.

I've learned something new today.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but everyone always plays Spock.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post