Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Thought for the day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought for the day Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
If it wasn't for marriage, women would be forced to nag complete strangers.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Reader's Digest: "Before I got married I didn't know there was a wrong way to put a milk carton in the "fridge."

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof and Geoff, I think you'll enjoy this article by Garrison Keillor about his wife being gone.

I don't think there is a wrong way, is there, Geoff? My husband taught me the right way to hang toilet paper - it must be hung so that it doesn't touch the wall, where there could be dust or bacteria. Roll Eyes However, I think he got that from his mother.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From someone named Toby on Quora: FoxNews is the Nigerian money scam of news.

<Proofreader>
posted
Marriage has changed my life. It's caused me to lose the will to live.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
the right way to hang toilet paper - it must be hung so that it doesn't touch the wall,

I never heard that. However, if you have (not "own", since they are never that) it's a good idea to hang the roll so it feeds under rather than over. Otherwise you'll one day find an entire roll strewn about the house -- generally when visitors are expected.

posted Hide Post
Proof, I must assume that they guy who invented toilet paper rolls, and specified that it be hung facing away from the wall, didn't live with a cat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z9YNmCIscs

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The TP roll dispute is reminiscent of Swift's Big-Enders and Little-Enders. Many people have strong opinions on the subject. First world problems!

In case anyone's interested I prefer that it doesn't touch the wall (I don't have a cat). Probably the best solution is to use a freestanding holder - like the examples shown on Google Images.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like THIS freestanding TP holder better. Also substitutes for a cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iIZpnBpTfU

<Proofreader>
posted
The printed warning on that machine says: DCYT (Don't Catch Your Testicles).

<Proofreader>
posted
Which reminds me: My wife is complaining about excessive use of TP (She's restricted us to one square a day). She says we're using a shitload of it but she cannot find a setting on the washing machine that doesn't destroy used portions. Perhaps some sort of dry cleaning?

posted Hide Post
Can you say, bidet? It's such fun to say as the spray washes the poo away!

<Proofreader>
posted
I didn't want to start a ew thred for this Q (which is actually a thought I had).

A local furniture store, advertising a bureau, says it's available in whte or espresso. When did espresso become a colr?

posted Hide Post
Shortly after burgundy and grape and charcoal and oxblood and...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And...

Stony Ground... Pigeon... Mouse's Back... Elephant's Breath... Smoked Trout... Dead Salmon... London Stone and London Clay. Among, I suspect, many others.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

<Proofreader>
posted
No idea why those examples never occurred to me. I'll just sit in my dapple arm chair and ponder.

posted Hide Post
It seems like paint companies hire people whose job consists solely of making up new color names. Walk into Home Depot and look at their color samples. Pick any basic color you want. They'll have myriad shades of that color, each with it's own distinctive name. Here is Wikipedia's List of Colors. It doesn't include espresso (or Dead Salmon) but that doesn't mean anything.

The earliest use of espresso as a color that I can find on the web is in a Bob Villa forum from Oct 16, 2002:
quote:
The color "espresso" is being used on alot of furniture these days. I can't seem to find this color anywhere. Is this an item blended by the manufacturer? Is it simple enough to just blend different stains till the right color appears? Or is it not a stain?

That suggests to me that it may have been a fairly new term for a color. I doubt it was really a new color, just a new name. From what I can find, espresso is a dark brown, nearly black color. Here is a picture of what Bemis Manufacturing Company (toilet seat manufacturer) calls Espresso Brown.

P.S. I hadn't read goofy's post when I wrote this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The AI generated names are funny, but I love real paint colour names, I'm just saying. Taupeless showgirl, moonfox, Himalayan eyes, Krypton, twin sweater set, timescape, dream spiral...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
For me, good paint names can sell themselves - or not. I'd never buy paint with the name of dead salmon.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post