Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deluxe Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I had an extraordinary experience today to tour the Rauner Special Collections Library at Dartmouth. It was a phenomenal library, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is in the area.

We were able to view (and even handle) books that were handwritten from the 1400s. It was truly amazing. One thing they said was that these were "deluxe" books, and that's where the word came from, "de lux." The particular book from the 1400s that he pointed to as being "deluxe" (and thus the word) was written in France, with the language being Latin. However, when I look up the word "deluxe" in etymology.com, it says it's from 1819. Since I don't have access to the online OED anymore, can someone please look it up to see what they say? Maybe it just didn't come to English until the 1800s?

I did some some wonderful middle English writing, too, including works of Chaucer.

I also learned a new phrase about books: double elephant folio. Indeed, they had Daniel Webster's copy of the double elephant folio first edition of John James Audubon's Birds of America.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
De lux in Latin means "of light". No idea of what the connection is with the French luxe is, if any. Oxford says for "deluxe":
quote:
early 19th century: French de luxe, literally 'of luxury'

However, all books written in the 1400s were what we'd nowadays call "deluxe".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Deluxe is from the French de luxe 'of luxury'. De Lux in Latin means nothing (as it is ungrammatical), because the preposition de governs the ablative case, and 'of light' would be de luce. The 1819 date is when English borrowed the French phrase. French luxe comes from Latin luxus 'excess, indulgence, luxury, debauchery'. I am not aware of deluxe as a book or printing term.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
... from Latin luxus 'excess, indulgence, luxury, debauchery'.
And leachery, so the righteous among us best not read any deluxe editions of anything lest they sin and go to Hell. Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
De Lux in Latin means nothing (as it is ungrammatical) ... 'of light' would be de luce.

You're right of course I wondered about that but ignored the grammar.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Thanks, Z. I think Wordcrafters would love this library.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post