Wordcraft Community Home Page
You women intuitively know this, but...

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/4560035886

October 05, 2017, 10:03
Geoff
You women intuitively know this, but...
From the book, The Organized Mind by Daniel J. Levitin: "Manufacturing these chemicals, and dispersing them to regulate and modulate brain activity, requires energy -- neurons are living cells with a metabolism, and they get that energy from glucose. No other tissue in the body relies solely on glucose for energy except the testes. (This is why men occasionally experience a battle for resources between their brains and their glands.)" If the wrong lawyer reads this, he might use it as a rape defense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,
October 05, 2017, 11:56
<Proofreader>
quote:
men occasionally experience a battle for resources between their brains and their glands.

So that's why I have convulsions!
October 10, 2017, 19:54
Kalleh
quote:
No other tissue in the body relies solely on glucose for energy except

I always thought it was the brain.
October 12, 2017, 19:42
tinman
quote:
"Manufacturing these chemicals, and dispersing them to regulate and modulate brain activity, requires energy -- neurons are living cells with a metabolism, and they get that energy from glucose. No other tissue in the body relies solely on glucose for energy except the testes. (This is why men occasionally experience a battle for resources between their brains and their glands.)"

I think what he is saying is that both the brain and the testes rely solely on glucose for energy. I don't know if this is true or not.
I think calling them "tissues," when they are really organs (albeit composed of tissues) and calling the testes (plural) a tissue (singular) is sloppy writing. He "is an American-Canadian cognitive psychologist, neuroscientist, writer, musician, and record producer," according to Wikipedia, so he should know what he is talking about.
October 13, 2017, 11:21
Geoff
So, Tinman, you have a tissue issue? Take two sugar cubes and a woman and call me in the morning. Eek

Yes, Kalleh, re-read it and you'll see it's clear that he meant BOTH the big brain and the little one.

Hmmmm... Does this mean that dementia might be cured with a little brain/big brain transplant?