Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    You women intuitively know this, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You women intuitively know this, but... Login/Join

posted
From the book, The Organized Mind by Daniel J. Levitin: "Manufacturing these chemicals, and dispersing them to regulate and modulate brain activity, requires energy -- neurons are living cells with a metabolism, and they get that energy from glucose. No other tissue in the body relies solely on glucose for energy except the testes. (This is why men occasionally experience a battle for resources between their brains and their glands.)" If the wrong lawyer reads this, he might use it as a rape defense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
men occasionally experience a battle for resources between their brains and their glands.

So that's why I have convulsions!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
No other tissue in the body relies solely on glucose for energy except

I always thought it was the brain.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Manufacturing these chemicals, and dispersing them to regulate and modulate brain activity, requires energy -- neurons are living cells with a metabolism, and they get that energy from glucose. No other tissue in the body relies solely on glucose for energy except the testes. (This is why men occasionally experience a battle for resources between their brains and their glands.)"

I think what he is saying is that both the brain and the testes rely solely on glucose for energy. I don't know if this is true or not.
I think calling them "tissues," when they are really organs (albeit composed of tissues) and calling the testes (plural) a tissue (singular) is sloppy writing. He "is an American-Canadian cognitive psychologist, neuroscientist, writer, musician, and record producer," according to Wikipedia, so he should know what he is talking about.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, Tinman, you have a tissue issue? Take two sugar cubes and a woman and call me in the morning. Eek

Yes, Kalleh, re-read it and you'll see it's clear that he meant BOTH the big brain and the little one.

Hmmmm... Does this mean that dementia might be cured with a little brain/big brain transplant?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post