Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Overkill or redundancy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overkill or redundancy? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
I saw and ad for the "university of Maryland University College". Is that overkill or is it just redundant or both? And why such a name?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am thinking redundancy...but also stupidity! This is where college students are educated? Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
University name

UMUC is a college in the traditional American sense of the word, albeit one associated with a university—hence, "University College." The "University of Maryland" prefix indicates the historical entity to which the college belonged originally. In the university's name, "University College" represents "the specialized concentration on professional development," while "University of Maryland" represents the affiliation of the university with the University System of Maryland.[9] To American ears, the words "university" and "college" may sound synonymous, and "University College" would be redundant in its name. Among the collegiate universities of Europe, however, the practice of giving one college in the university the name "University College" is not uncommon. In England, for example, one of the 39 colleges of the University of Oxford is called University College, Oxford.

What's with the Name UMUC? A Lot, Actually.
quote:
The “University of Maryland” portion signifies that we are part of the University System of Maryland. We’re pretty sure that’s clear, and we are proud to be part of one of the finest systems in the world. “University College” is an old British term which captures what we do: Take courses and programs from all academic departments and offer them outside of the university's walls and normal class times.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'm with Kalleh.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
one of the 39 colleges of the University of Oxford is called University College, Oxford.

Actually, it's properly called The Master and Fellows of the College of the Great Hall of the University of Oxford (Univ for short).

There is a legend that it was founded by Alfred the Great in 872, but most agree it was founded in 1249, making it one of the oldest, perhaps the oldest, college in Oxford.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks tinman, for explaining how it's not redundant. We have a University College in Toronto as well.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, goofy, this is different. It is not the University College in Maryland; it is the University of Maryland University College. I think that's a huge difference. And...just because some site explains it doesn't make it right in my opinion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, goofy, this is different. It is not the University College in Maryland; it is the University of Maryland University College. I think that's a huge difference. And...just because some site explains it doesn't make it right in my opinion.

I don't understand. It's the name of the school, the name given to the school by the people who ran it. How can it not be right? What is the right name?

<Proofreader>
posted
There's no question it's the "right" name for the school. I just think this particular combination of redundancies makes whoever thought it was a good idea look overly literate (in a not nice sense).

posted Hide Post
Fair enough, but I disagree. It's the University College at the University of Maryland - It's the University of Maryland University College. It makes complete sense.

posted Hide Post
Is not the confusion caused by assuming that "college" and "university" are synonyms? One may have several colleges at a university, if I understand the system correctly.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm with goofy on this one; I don't see a problem with the name.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm with goofy on this one; I don't see a problem with the name.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one, I guess.

And, yes, Geoff, you are correct. That is precisely why I disagree with the "right" name for this school. Indeed, I was surprised that in Tinman's quote they said: "To American ears, the words 'university' and 'college' may sound synonymous, and 'University College' would be redundant in its name." They don't sound redundant; they sound contradictory, at least from they way academics use them. That may be the difference, though. Perhaps non-academics use them interchangeably.

I am quite curious now about that name and am going to ask some of my colleagues about it in Maryland.

<Proofreader>
posted
Don't ask in Maryland -- that's where the problem lies.