Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Jobsworths - Employment Jargon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jobsworths - Employment Jargon Login/Join

posted
I heard on the radio about a British newspaper journalist who is collecting job titles or, to be more precise, this sort of thing.

What others have you seen Smile?

Of course, you can always generate your own Smile.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, do our American cousins understand what a Jobsworth is?

Here's an article that describes them pretty well.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Out of curiosity, do our American cousins understand what a Jobsworth is?

Here's an article that describes them pretty well.

I had a vague feeling that there was also a fictional person called Jobsworth, either in a film (movie), a play or a book and I was googling for more details when I came across this. I thought it was a spoof at first but, unbelievably, it isn't Frown.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Those sites were great. I especially loved the job generator site. Wink

No, Arnie, I have never heard of "jobsworth" before. I do like being called an "American cousin" though!

One of my favorite's from that site was a "Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity;" then again I liked the "dendrochronologist" who counts tree rings!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
If you don't know what a jobsworth is, then there is a good chance you have never seen the television programme, That's Life.

Or heard of Esther Rantzen or Cyril Fletcher.

The latter would have fitted in well on Wordcraft.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are correct, Graham, I haven't heard of the TV program or the people.

Do tell why the latter would have fit on Wordcraft!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
You are correct, Graham, I haven't heard of the TV program or the people.

[quote]Do tell why the latter would have fit on Wordcraft!

Cyril Fletcher (more details and photos here) was an English comedian. Not the flashy standup type, but more of a raconteur. He appeared as a panellist in the many radio game shows about language that we have over here and was particularly well-known for his Odd Odes. I can't find any on the Internet, but I do have a book of them, so I'll post a few here if you want. They're very funny.

He appeared for many years in a TV programme called [URL=http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/That's%20Life!%20(television)]That's Life[/URL] which mixed serious consumer rights information with strange news items sent in by viewers. That link works, but it won't embed because of the %20 signs, so you'll have to copy and paste it into Google in order to read the article).

He had a great facility with language and a good sense of humour which came over well, especially on radio.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh: I do like being called an "American cousin" though
When Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, in the theater, the play he was watching was Our American Cousin by Tom Taylor.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I confess I hadn't realised that Cyril Fletcher had died. Always a pleasure to listen to his avuncular tones and clever rhymes.

You can find a selection of Cyril's Odd Odes (and a number of other monologues including those by Stanley Holloway, Joyce Grenfell, Billy Bennett) here http://monologues.co.uk/

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post