Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    South Park Contributions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Park Contributions Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here are some of the words and phrases the cartoon South Park has given to us.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've heard very few, if any, of them, fortunately. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of them I hadn't heard before, but a few of them are much older than South Park.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Which ones, Tinman?

posted Hide Post
Fingerbang is a cleaned-up version of fingerfuck from the 1970s.

Lid - a quantity of marijuana, dates from the 1960s. Apparently the term pretty much died out in the mind 1970s. CJ could probably tell you more. Here's what Wikipedia says:

quote:
In the 1960s, a "lid" was one ounce of cannabis (average price $15); by the 2000s, because of higher prices and the advent of plentiful medical marijuana, a lid came to be redefined as one-eighth of an ounce of cannabis (average price $60), while eight 2000s lids or a whole ounce averages $300.

Limey has been around for a while. From the OED Online:

quote:
a. In the former British colonies (esp. Austral., N.Z., and S. Afr.), an English immigrant. Also attrib.

1888   D. B. W. Sladen Austral. Ballads & Rhymes 31   They'd seen old stagers and limey new chums.

b. U.S. An English ship; an English (or British) sailor; hence gen., an Englishman, a Briton. Also attrib.

1918   A. N. Depew Gunner Depew 18   So, all over the world, British ships are called ‘Lime-juicers’ and their sailors ‘Limeys’.
poontang (n.)

OED Online:
quote:
poontang, n.

slang (orig. U.S., chiefly in African-American usage).

1. Sexual intercourse, sex; copulation.

1927   J. O'Hara Sel. Lett. (1978) 25   Just between us I haven't had any poon-tang since I was in Germany.

Online Etymology Dictionary says it's from around 1910, probably from New Orleans Creole.

OED Online
quote:
succubus, n.

1. A demon in female form supposed to have carnal intercourse with men in their sleep. (Cf. incubus n.)

a1387   J. Trevisa tr. R. Higden Polychron. (St. John's Cambr.) (1865) I. 419   That fend þat gooþ a nyȝt, Wommen wel ofte to begile, Incubus hatte be ryȝt; And gileþ men oþer while, Succubus is þat wight.

2. transf.
 a. A demon, evil spirit; occas. a familiar spirit.[/b]

1601   J. Weever Mirror of Martyrs sig. Avij,   A swaggering humour, Of some shape-altring Succubus begot.

b. A strumpet, whore; a term of abuse for a low woman, occas. applied to a man.
1622   J. Taylor Whore in Wks. (1630) ii. 106/1   A Succubus, a damned sinke of sinne.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Related to lid, doesn't it seem that there are a lot of words about marijuana or similar drugs?