Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Grammar Rant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grammar Rant Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
A friend sent me a link to this blog post with a very clever rant on the use of "alot" rather than "a lot".

Your thoughts?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, she's very funny in general. I think I first found her site through that post, too.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Now if she'll only write about "alright".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"instead of getting angry, you can be like 'You're right!'" How can one be like "you're right?" I've used up my alot-ment of auto-comprehension, so I'll need some to explain it to me.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
She'd really hate my "kinda."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
All that energy squandered. Also, technically it's not a grammar rant; it's a spelling rant.

"instead of getting angry, you can be like 'You're right!'" How can one be like "you're right?"

It's an example of verbum dicendi (aka quotative like, link). I've seen similar things in other languages. For example, Sanskrit uses iti to set off a quotation. The reason it develops is because you cannot see the quotation marks when somebody is speaking.

None of this stuff bothers me anymore. I have observed that not too many people are good at standard orthography, punctuation, or usage. When somebody comes apart in my presence fuming over something like "Got milk?" or Think different", I chuckle to myself and murmur "whatever" (using air quotes) and wander off. They usually leave me alone at that point.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Now if she'll only write about "alright".

Unlike alot, alright has a long, somewhat respectable history.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that energy squandered.
Judging by her other posts as well, the author seems to have definite manic tendencies. There are also some long gaps in postings, and I suspect she might be a sufferer from bipolar disorder (manic depression). Here is one of her posts about depression.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, arnie. And the subsequent comments weren't that uplifting either.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's sad. Allie doesn't seem to be having a good 2011. She's only made five posts this year and the one I linked to (made in October) was the first since May. By contrast she made 80 posts in 2010 and 81 in 2009. I obviously have no medical knowledge, but she does seem in a bad way. I just hope she is receiving good treatment.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
... I suspect she might be a sufferer from bipolar disorder (manic depression).

I'd be awful careful about labeling her as such on the Internet where all the world can see.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, it's sad. Allie doesn't seem to be having a good 2011. She's only made five posts this year and the one I linked to (made in October) was the first since May. By contrast she made 80 posts in 2010 and 81 in 2009. I obviously have no medical knowledge, but she does seem in a bad way. I just hope she is receiving good treatment.
Hmmm, maybe I am in the same boat. My blog entries have hugely decreased, too. Wink

The fact is, I've just gotten too busy. Wordcraft is lucky I am still here! My Blog, my Facebook, My LinkedIn, OEDILF, etc. are all suffering these days.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd be awful careful about labeling her as such on the Internet where all the world can see.

Not to worry. It's just conjecture. After all, when people open their lives to Blogs, they take that chance. As a WC friend once told me, don't post anything on the Internet that you'd not want to see in the newspaper headlines. The Blogger needed to be more careful.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to start another "grammar rant" thread, but I recently came across this Huffington Post list of "grammar rants." I note they call "irregardless" wrong. Good for them!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
They're (or should that be their?) careful to disassociate themselves (HuffPost) from the list, in fact, by blaming it on their (they're?) readers.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I just discovered Grammarly on Facebook (link), and while I disagree with most of their [sic] peeves, it is a rather funny ragbag of rants. It's a company that sells grammar products.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting facebook page, z. Did you see the poll about whether English is being degraded by instant communication? I voted "No. Languages evolve and we should accept it." It got 191 votes. "Yes. Textspeak is destroying the language!" got 1440 votes, and "Neither. Textspeak and proper English differ and don't affect one another." got 440 votes.

I suppose one could develop a plausible sentence where "they're" and "their" could both be used (or is it "each?"). However, were someone to use its in the possessive, it could confuse people because there is not a possessive its on our language. So there are a few times grammar must be attended to. However, my last sentence would be decimated (current definition) by my editors. They think the worst possible thing you can do is to end a sentence with a preposition.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
However, were someone to use its in the possessive, it could confuse people because there is not a possessive its on our language. So there are a few times grammar must be attended to.

Except that using "its" for "it's" is a typo, not a grammar problem. And I'd like to see an instance where it causes confusion.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed that it's not a grammar problem. However, it usually isn't a typo, either (sometimes maybe it is, but not often). I'd call it a punctuation error.

posted Hide Post
What is a typo, then?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
What is a typo, then?

goofy, I refer you to this post where you answer that question.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You answered yourself? Big Grin

I still think a typo is simply that, a one time error by misusing the keys. A spelling error is when you don't know how to spell a word. A punctuation error, I'd think, would be a misuse of an apostrophe. That is, you just didn't "mistype" it, but you wrote it how you thought it should be written.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

After making that post in October 2011 Allie has just made another couple of posts. She has been suffering from severe depression. I am relieved; at least she's still alive. The two new posts might be a sign that she's coming out of it. Let us all hope and pray that is so. I'd hate to see another 18 months go by without another post from her.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogs...transition-post.html

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogs...ession-part-two.html

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Those are quite illustrative of depression, aren't they...particularly the last one? I agree, arnie, about having an empty feeling if her posts don't continue.