Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    "Paparazzi" headline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Paparazzi" headline Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
A recent article mentioned a word-issue that's arisen in an official proceeding concerning the death of Princess Diana. It seem that one gentleman objects to being called a paparazzo. He considers the word paparazzi to be derogatory, a smear and a slur, and wants to be referred to as a "photo-journalist".

But I'm not bringing this up to discuss the nuances of a word's "color". Rather, I want to share with you the article's headline, which gave me a completely different notion of its contents.

It read,
    "Photog rejects Pap Smear"

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"Photog rejects Pap Smear"

He denied being the father?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
He denied being the father?

No. He refused to have a medical test (or more probably refused to allow his female partner to have one)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Pap Smear

I think this would be read in the US as meaning being called the father in an attempt to discredit (as a politician),

posted Hide Post
It's an abbreviation for Papanicolaou smear - a test of the cervical lining.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
would be read in the US as meaning being called the father

My error. I used "would" instead of "could" in that sentence. "Smear" is what one politician does to another in an attempt to discredit him, thus my statement would be an alternate meaning for the headline.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Smear" is what one politician does to another in an attempt to discredit him, thus my statement would be an alternate meaning for the headline.

It has that meaning here as well.

Richard English

Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Ha ha, shu! There is such an art in “headlining” – how to trap readers into reading (buying) the paper/magazine/whatever when you’ve actually got nothing to say ie “Scandal! Why Kate can’t marry Will!” and it’s because someone found a nude photo of the aunt of her 42nd cousin twice removed’s ex-mother-in-law’s grandson’s old school friend. Of course, we're the suckers who fall for it.

At least this one is clever. If I was a tabloid journalist I’d be proud of it.