Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    What is indicated by .,,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is indicated by .,, Login/Join

posted
Isn't Dot a girl's name? According to his profile he's male, though.

(To .,, - no offence, mate!

I am highly flattered and fascinated by any interest in the subject but it is likely to derail a discussion of wombat's feeding and other habits.

Posts: 63 | Location: Melbourne, AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
But Full Stop is a mucho manly, ungirly name. In (a) Zardoz kind away.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interpretations are interpretative.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .,,:
Interpretations are interpretative.

Dot is a female name?

Words have grammatical gender in Spanish and dot is masculine. Languages are interesting.

Posts: 46 | Location: Granada, SpainReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In the U.S. Dot is definitely a woman's name, though we don't have those genders that you have in Spanish. I'd call Period a woman's name, too, though I'd agree with z on Full Stop.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
In the U.S. Dot is definitely a woman's name, though we don't have those genders that you have in Spanish. I'd call Period a woman's name, too, though I'd agree with z on Full Stop.
Is Period a name in America? This would be impossible in Australia. In Australia a period is a menstrual cucle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .,,:
Is Period a name in America? This would be impossible in Australia. In Australia a period is a menstrual cucle.

Aussies seem quite reasonable people. Wish that could be impossible in Spain too.
This is a Roman Catholic country. Virgin Mary has many names and atributions. So, there is Mary Inmaculate, Mary of the Poor People, Mary of the Conception, Mary of the Good Manners, Mary of the Modesty, Mary of the Virtue, Mary of the Period, Mary of the Pains.
So yes, Period is a female name in Spanish.
And Pains. And Inmaculate. And Conception.
And they are all horrible even as second names.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
If Evelyn and Shirley and Beverly can all be men's names as well as women's, I don't know why we can't name a boy Dorothy and call him Dot for short. Then again, I'll agree, you can't beat Full Stop for manliness.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The other morse code symbol should have been chosen, I think. Dash is a much more manly name. It sounds like the moniker given to a comic-book hero - "Dash Dangerfield" perhaps. There is also Dashiell (as in Dashiell Hammett, author of The Maltese Falcon); he, or at least his hero Sam Spade, comes across as fairly butch:
quote:
Samuel Spade's jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting V under the more flexible V of his mouth. His nostrils curved back to make another smaller V. His yellow-grey eyes were horizontal. The V motif was picked up again by thickish brows rising outward from twin creases above a hooked nose, and his pale brown hair grew down - from high flat temples - in a point on his forehead. He looked rather pleasantly like a blond satan.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Dot is a nickname for woman named Dorothy. FOD (friend of Dorothy) is a term for a gay man. There's even a Friends of Dorothy Society which has memberships in the UK and Australia. Zardoz, the name of a science fiction movie, is a contraction of Wizard of Oz. Judy Garland played Dorothy in the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz. Oz is a nickname of the continent and Commonwealth of Australia. The word period, like comma, originally was a term from rhetoric that referred to a type of phrase. It later came to be associated with some punctuation marks. Some Marian names of women in hispanophone countries are of the masculine gender. Consuelo 'consolation' is one. It is important to remember that grammatical gender (aka noun classes) and biological sex have little to do with one another. One is an abstract grammatical category, and the other is an outcome of evolution. Some gender systems have many more than the "standard" tripartite Indo-European system, e.g., some Bantu languages have 13 genders. In Proto-Indo-European, some historical linguists think there was a two gender system originally: animate and inanimate. Later, the feminine gender developed out of the plural for the inanimate gender. A reclassification took place with the masculine-feminine-neuter system familiar from the grammars of languages like Greek, Latin, and Sanskrit.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:Then again, I'll agree, you can't beat Full Stop for manliness.
Wordmatic
Perhaps Exclamation Point may have a vote on the obvious manliness stakes!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
The other morse code symbol should have been chosen, I think. Dash is a much more manly name. It sounds like the moniker given to a comic-book hero - "Dash Dangerfield" perhaps. There is also Dashiell (as in Dashiell Hammett, author of The Maltese Falcon); he, or at least his hero Sam Spade, comes across as fairly butch:
quote:
Samuel Spade's jaw was long and bony, his chin a jutting V under the more flexible V of his mouth. His nostrils curved back to make another smaller V. His yellow-grey eyes were horizontal. The V motif was picked up again by thickish brows rising outward from twin creases above a hooked nose, and his pale brown hair grew down - from high flat temples - in a point on his forehead. He looked rather pleasantly like a blond satan.
Jepus Firetrucking Christ I'm glad I didn't choose - Dash following that description.

In any event the main reason was to find a name with as few associations as possible.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In any event the main reason was to find a name with as few associations as possible.

One thing humans are good at is injecting meaning into otherwise meaningless phrases.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

One thing humans are good at is injecting meaning into otherwise meaningless phrases.
In this instance there is little evidence here.

P.S.
Where is R'lyeh?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In this instance there is little evidence here.

Ah, well, too bad. Chacun à son sens.

P.S.
Where is R'lyeh?

It's right next store to the Beatles' octopus' garden in the sea: R'lyeh.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:

It's right next store to the Beatles' octopus' garden in the sea: R'lyeh.

In the shade?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
The other morse code symbol should have been chosen, I think.

But you are assuming that he used the morse code to make up his nick.
What you say reflects your choice, not his.
What if he was holding his little niece in his arms while he wrote and she just typed three strokes on the keyboard with one little chubby finger.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In the shade?

Yes, indeed, "in the shade". Not quite a mondegreen on my part. I just misremembered. And, not to be confused with an English garden.
quote:
Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun.
If the sun don't come, you get a tan
From standing in the English rain.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus,
goo goo g'joob goo goo g'joob

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
In the shade?

Yes, indeed, "in the shade".
quote:
Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun.
If the sun don't come, you get a tan
From standing in the English rain.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus,
goo goo g'joob goo goo g'joob

The walrus was Paul...

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps Exclamation Point may have a vote on the obvious manliness stakes!

I would think Exclamation Point would be more indicative of a character trait than gender.

That's a great party question - if you were to classify yourself as a punctuation mark, what would you be?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jepus Firetrucking Christ

Haven't heard that one before! Big Grin It reminds me of a phrase one of early posters used to say: Holy Sweet Jesus on a moped!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:
Jepus Firetrucking Christ

Haven't heard that one before! Big Grin It reminds me of a phrase one of early posters used to say: Holy Sweet Jesus on a moped!
That is a bit of an homage to Matt Groening.
Homer Sympson bemoaned the fact that he wanted to pray but that he couldn't even spell Jepus.
The Simpsons. A wonderful template for life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a bit of an homage to Matt Groening.
Homer Sympson bemoaned the fact that he wanted to pray but that he couldn't even spell Jepus.
The Simpsons. A wonderful template for life.

Yes, I've noticed that all my friends' husbands look and act like Homer Simpson.