Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Why medical types need to read Old English
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why medical types need to read Old English Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I heard that report on NPR. BTW, what is the language?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old English. I think the text is part of this book
http://books.google.ca/books/d...tput%3Dpdf%26hl%3Den

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, are you channeling Gracie Allen? Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link, Goofy. I found this of interest: Page 464 - Buzzard. 1858. 3. LIVES OF EDWARD THE CONFESSOR. I — La Estoire de Seint Aedward le Rei.

Is "La Estorire..." in the French of that period, or is it Anglo-Norman? Back then there wasn't just one standard French, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

posted Hide Post
I found the recipe! page 35:

Ƿýrc aegsealfe ƿiþ ƿænne gením cropleac ⁊ garleác begea em fela gecnuƿa ƿel tosomne gením ƿín ⁊ fearres geallan begea em fela gemeng ƿiþ þy leace do þonne on arfæt læt standan nigon niht on þam arfate aƿring þurh claþ ⁊ gehlyttre ƿel do on horn · ⁊ ymb niht do mid feþere on ꝥ eage se betsta læcedóm.

"Work an eye salve for a wen, take cropleek and garlic, of both equal quantities, pound them well together, take wine and bullocks gall, of both equal quantities, mix with the leek, put this then into a brazen vessel, let it stand nine days in the brass vessel, wring out through a cloth and clear it well, put it into a horn, and about night time apply it with a feather to the eye ; the best leechdom."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

<Proofreader>
posted
My doctor told me he knew of an old remedy which would cure my sore foot but he was missing one ingredient -- eye of newt-- and he couldn't convince Mr. Gingrich to make a donation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post