Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Stylometry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stylometry Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the news recently about the Sony hackers, this article talks about "stylometry," which is the study of linguistic style used to attribute authorship to anonymous or disputed documents. Preliminary analyses, according to the NY Times article, show that the Sony hackers actually could have been Russian, and not North Korean. What an interesting field of linguistics that must be.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Derived from "stylus," perhaps?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are correct, according to the OED. Interestingly, it is first cited from 1945: "R. G. Collingwood Idea of Nature 58 Scholars..have analysed the language of the Platonic dialogues statistically... Whatever view is taken of Platonic ‘stylometry’ in its more detailed development." I am surprised that it was used that early.

posted Hide Post
I recall that the French word for "pen" is stylo. A phonograph needle is also called a stylus. Then there's the slang term, "stylin'."
That stretches the meaning in a different direction, though.

posted Hide Post
The OED says "stylometry" is based on "style".

The Y in "style" and "stylus" seems to be a mistake. The English words can be traced to Latin "stilus" ("stake"). they were respelled with Y under the mistaken impression that they derived from Greek στῦλος "pillar".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
So now we have turnstiles and turnpikes, both of which are rotating pales. Why two terms?

Hmmm... This has nothing to do with the subject. Sorry, Kalleh.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Goofy, the OED does provide a one-word etymology for "stylometry," being "style." However, when you click "style," it says: "Antiq. An instrument made of metal, bone, etc., having one end sharp-pointed for incising letters on a wax tablet, and the other flat and broad for smoothing the tablet and erasing what is written: = stylus1. Also applied to similar instruments in la..."

Thus, my answer to Geoff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yes, Goofy, the OED does provide a one-word etymology for "stylometry," being "style." However, when you click "style," it says: "Antiq. An instrument made of metal, bone, etc., having one end sharp-pointed for incising letters on a wax tablet, and the other flat and broad for smoothing the tablet and erasing what is written: = stylus1. Also applied to similar instruments in la..."

Thus, my answer to Geoff.

I think the equal sign means that the words have the same meaning? But they are two different words. Further down in the entry for style there is the more common definition of style: "The manner of expression characteristic of a particular writer..." The entry for stylometry doesn't say which meaning of style the word is derived from, but I would think it would be the literary one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
So the other definition would be covered by graphology? I'd think the two could overlap on occasion.