Wordcraft Community Home Page
Slang Words Discussed

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/4960042246

January 15, 2012, 15:53
Caterwauller
Slang Words Discussed
There was a kerfuffle over a recent NYT crossword puzzle, and the debate ended up getting airtime on The Colbert Report.

I thought you all might enjoy seeing it. Scroll down to see the vid.

[Fixed the link]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama
January 16, 2012, 15:04
Geoff
Will never said a cross word until he took it in the Shortz.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
January 16, 2012, 17:40
<Proofreader>
If he tours the country, it'll be a Shortz circuit.
January 17, 2012, 06:04
bethree5
I think he comes up Shortz when compared to predecessors Maleska, Weng & Farrar. Haven't enjoyed one much since last March's riff on Spoonerisms...
January 19, 2012, 21:06
Kalleh
It does seem to me that the "illin" could be the clue for "Wack, in hip-hop," at least by Shortz's explanation. Can't say I've heard of "illin" before, though. Has anyone here?

Great post, CW!
January 20, 2012, 02:28
arnie
Somehow I doubt that most Wordcrafters are of the correct age group to be au fait with current youthful slang. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 20, 2012, 05:32
zmježd
I'm in my fifties; I've heard both illin' and wack used by people who are not hip-hop artists. I work for a company most of whose employees are in their twenties and thirties.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
January 20, 2012, 11:05
Kalleh
I'll ask my kids. Of course I had heard of wack, just not illin.
January 20, 2012, 13:12
Geoff
I thought illin was someone who went to a college in your state, Kalleh. As for wack, if you add "off" to it, I understand it.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti
January 20, 2012, 14:35
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
illin' and wack

This is pretty old slang. I seem to remember it from the 80s.
January 21, 2012, 11:44
arnie
I've heard wack, but not illin.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.