Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    I know yer out there, I kin hear ya breathin'!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I know yer out there, I kin hear ya breathin'! Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted
I see by the member count that we have at least two new people registered on this board though I haven't noticed any new names in recent posts.

First off, welcomewelcomewelcome, one and all (or, in this case, one and one more) to one of the more interesting inter-reactive (Is that the word I mean?) boards on the net. The topics presented are varied and interesting, the exchange of ideas is brisk, and my posts in particular are wonderful! (That "Harumph!" you just heard was R.E., another one of our regulars.)

Secondly, don't be afraid to jump in! I can't say that we don't bite since, frankly, occasionally we do but it's always with humor and respect. We all look forward to hearing your views.

Need a topic to get you started? OK, this one is ONLY for members with 50 posts or fewer, at least at first:

Why is it that so many geographical names both begin and end with the letter A? Doesn't that strike you as odd? Just off the top of my head there are
America
Asia
Antarctica
Africa
Asia
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Australia
Austria
Anaheim, California.

Discuss in 25 words or less. Or more. Or not.

Again, Welcome!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Another interesting fact. The names of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with; all begin and end with vowels and, apart from Europe, all being and end with "a".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Another interesting fact. The names of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with; all begin and end with vowels and, apart from Europe, all being and end with "a".

And anti-Americanism raises its ugly head once again!

Yes, the names of five out of seven of the continents begin and end with vowels but, unless a spelling change has occurred that I'm not aware of, North America and South America are still the two exceptions.

And welcome to the board, R.E.!

posted Hide Post
Children! Now don't make me separate you and send you to bed without dinner! (Do I sound too much like a grandmother here?) LMAO

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although North and South America are commonly referred to a separate continents (and I agree that there is some merit in this) offically the continent is The Americas, which includes such places as Greenland.

There is also confusion over Australia which, although often called a continent, is actually part of the geographical region of Australasia.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't there some way we can view a list of the members?

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Isn't there some way we can view a list of the members?
I, for one, am a bit shy about displaying my member publicly.
red face

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although North and South America are commonly referred to a separate continents (and I agree that there is some merit in this) offically the continent is The Americas, which includes such places as Greenland.

(in high whiny voice:) Morgan, He started it!!

(Ahem!) Interesting, R.E., and I'll be happy to accept this news but I must ask, "officially"?? "Officially the continent (singular) is The Americas..." is something I've never heard. It seems only logical that if you're going to lump North and South America into one continent (not that I would object to a closer geographical relationship with our neighbors to the south) it would be nearly impossible to make a case for Asia and Europe being two.

Also "The Euro-Asian Landmass Firmament" begins and ends with the letter "T." Not a vowel but you can't have everything.

And, lastly, Where Are All The Damn New People??!! Not that it isn't the high point of my day to verbally duel with R.E. (which gives you some idea of how pathetic my life can be) but new blood would be much appreciated!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I, for one, am a bit shy about displaying my member publicly.

Maybe we can arrange for a private showing then, Asa! wink

Goodness me! Did I actually type that????? (Those muses can be so impudent!)

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, muse, so glad you did it this time because I got the board all in a stir in the cheese thread! big grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Muse suggests, "Maybe we can arrange for a private showing then."

Pun intended? eek

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the area of continent of Asia, ON ITS OWN, exceeds that of all the Americas (North, South and Central added together) I can't see that there are really grounds fo suggesting it be combined with Europe.

If the grounds for the suggestion is that continents occupying contiguous landmasses be combined then, by that definition, there will be only four of them - America; Eurasafrica (Although I accept that Africa is actually separated from Eurasia by the Suez Canal - are are North and Central America by Panama); Australia and Antarctica.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, I see we now have 65 participants. Come on, new members, we'd all love to hear from you! Welcome to our board, and please don't be shy. We don't bite (well, I am not sure about CJ!) big grin wink razz cool

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the area of continent of Asia, ON ITS OWN, exceeds that of all the Americas (North, South and Central added together) I can't see that there are really grounds fo suggesting it be combined with Europe.

Typical male response... It's not all about size, R.E.

What grounds are there for making Asia and Europe separate continents, you ask? How about the fact that if you stripped away the political boundary demarcations you wouldn't be able to tell where one starts or the other ends. At least with the Americas, even though they are connected (canals, being manmade, don't count) at least they get real skinny in the middle which makes for a logical separation point, continent-wise.

But isn't there something geological that does the same with Europe and Asia? I've never understood why Turkey is considered to straddle both continents. There has to be some reason for it. If, as R.E. suggests, size is the most determining factor, what's to keep Canada from seceeding from North America and declaring its own continenthood? Quebec has been trying a variation of this for years and it hasn't worked yet.

Now then... Seeing as how this is an English and grammar etc board, even though the "etc" can sometimes wander into several other different areas that are not all that language related, allow me to try to steer this thread back to its original idea which, aside from welcoming newcomers, was to point out that many geographical names begin and end with the letter "A" and to challange others to come up with more. I notice that no one has taken me up on this challenge. At present, the rankings are:

Me - 11 points
Kalleh - 0
Asa Lovejoy - 0
Morgan - 0
Museamuse - 0
Shufitz - 0
Richard English - minus 2 (for arguing)
All newcomers - 2 bonus points each as soon as they begin posting.

As is (or should be, anyway) the case with challenges of this sort, no referrence materials, googling, or other outside help is permitted. In other words, if you come up with 127 more examples including Third World villages with populations of less than 50, cheating will be suspected.) Grey matter only, please!

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Wed Dec 11th, 2002 at 14:36.]

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
A challenge???

OK, CJ, take off you coat and here we go. eek

Acadia
Acra
Addis Ababa
Agra
Alexandria
Andalusia
Ankara
Appalachia
Armenia
Astoria???
Atlanta
Attica
Augusta (Maine, USA)
Augusta (Georgia, USA)
Altoona (Pennsylvania, USA)
Alberta (Canada)

Over to you!

PS: "Anaheim, California, you say ??? wink

posted Hide Post
The challenge is presented by CJ:
quote:
Need a topic to get you started? OK, this one is ONLY for members with 50 posts or fewer, at least at first: (E.A.)

THEN he posts:
quote:
I notice that no one has taken me up on this challenge. At present, the rankings are:

Morgan - 0

So, now here are MY entries...

Shufitz, you mentioned Attica...are you refering to the region in Greece, or Attica, NY (near me), the site of Attica Prison? Whichever you don't claim, I DO!

Attica
Argentina
Algeria
Antigua
Angola (NY, near me)
Angola (the country in Africa)
Albania
Astoria (Oregon--sorry Asa)
Americana (Brazil)
Arabia (Saudi)
Arusha (Tanzania-my boss just visited there)
Anaconda (Montana)

GRRRRRRR....you guys got all the easy ones! You see the smoke pouring out of my ears, here?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Great, Morgan! big grin
(But I've already laid claim to "Astoria". razz)

posted Hide Post
Hey...Shufitz...

razz Plllllttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Aruba

(You thought you were going to get the last word, Morgan? mad )

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Abysinia (former name of Ethiopia)
Aegean Sea (heh, heh!)
Appaloosa (No, wait a minute, that's a horse.)

I had Attica, Appalachia, Armenia, and one other that slips my mind at the moment but didn't put them down since I didn't want to appear as if I were showing off.

(Yes, yes, I know. That's not like me.)

Also, not that I'm complaining, Shufitz, but most of yours are suspiciously in alphabetical order. It's grey matter only here, right?

And I'm tempted to take your "Augusta (Georgia, USA)" and twist it around to two more entries "Augusta, Georgia" and "Augusta, Georgia, USA" but having gone to that well once already with "Anaheim, California," I do believe it's probably only right to retire that little bit of business.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
to CJ: alphabetized after the fact, to make it easier to compare lists and see what had already been taken.

PS to CJ: I'll give you the ones you "had already", if you'll delete your obvious ones (Africa, Asia, etc.) that any of us would have gotten immediately. wink

Apalachicola (or however you spell that county in Florida)

posted Hide Post
Ada, a town in Oklahoma, begins and ends with a, and contains only three letters. Are there any others with only three letters?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
PS to CJ: I'll give you the ones you "had already", if you'll delete your obvious ones (Africa, Asia, etc.) that any of us would have gotten immediately. wink

No soap! How do I know that you would have gotten the "easy" ones? Oftimes it is just that which appears easiest which alludes us. Plus, had I known you were going to take this challenge and run off the end of the world with it, I would have taken some time and cranked out a few more myself before posting my original list!

Two more:
Almathea - one of the moons of Jupiter. And Yes, IT IS a geographical name although, out of the goodness of my heart and my unwavering sense of fairness, I'm not going to count it since I had to look up the spelling. (I was way off!) Turns out there's also another Jovian moon beginning and ending with the letter A (and likewise uncountable) and that Almathea was named for the goat that suckled Zeus. Oh, those wacky ancient Greek gods!

Ahbalonia - fictional name of a likewise fictional country mentioned in a Three Stooges short from, I think, the 40's. I'm also not counting this one in part because the place doesn't actually exist but mostly because by even naming it I reveal to this board that I, much to my everlasting shame, have some working knowledge of the Three Stooges.

Standings so far:

Shufitz - 17 (Grrr! Grrr!)
Me - 13 (and I'm tempted to give myself 5 bonus for issuing the challenge!)
Morgan (with the smoke coming out of her ears) - 12 (which includes the credit for "Astoria" that Shufitz didn't get for throwing three question marks after the entry.) (Plus, you look good in smoke!)
Tinman - 3 (triple credit for a palindromic entry!)
Kalleh - 0 (and I'm very disappointed!)
Museamuse & Asa Lovejoy - 0 (though I'm sure their hearts were in the right place.)
Richard English - minus 3 (one more minus point for not entering.)
New members - NOTHING since I've seen no evidence that they even exist.

With 65 members supposedly on this board at this point, the thought has occurred to me that there's really no one here but myself and an extremely schizophrenic Kalleh/Morgan/Sarah/pick one. Fess up! I confess you really had me going with your "Richard English" character!!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good Grief, CJ. I am the one--and only--Kalleh! I am here, in flesh & blood.
However, by the time I saw your challenge (Kalleh-0), you, Morgan, and Shufitz had so many that what was a woman to do? I don't have a clue as to where to find more. And--it is killing me because I am a competetive sort! mad frown

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalleh:
...where to find more.[QUOTE]

"Find more," you say?! FIND more??! The only elligible direction in which to look is inwardly! No reference materials - grey matter only, please.

Actually, this might be the sort of challenge that would be better played (or at least more fairly played) during the kind of "live" chat you're talking about elsewhere rather than on a message board of this sort. That way certain people wouldn't have to whine about all the good names being already taken.

Addition to standings:

Kalleh - 1 (sympathy point)

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Aha! Another update:

Me - 14

for "Alemania" which is "Germany" in Spanish!

And, to return briefly (I promise) to the continent brouhaha, I seem to recall reading once (long, long ago) that the five rings of the Olympic flag symbolized something and, if memory serves, they each represent a continent. Might this add weight to R.E.'s view of the world?

I also remember reading that at least one of the five colors of the rings of the Olympic flag can be found in every national flag of the world. At a very early age I decided that if ever I was able to found my own nation, that my flag would be made up of the colors pink, puce, and magenta just to screw with the Olympics people!

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Fri Dec 13th, 2002 at 10:41.]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Me - 11 points
Kalleh - 0
Asa Lovejoy - 0
Morgan - 0
Museamuse - 0
Shufitz - 0
Richard English - minus 2 (for arguing)

quote:

Standings so far:

Shufitz - 17 (Grrr! Grrr!)
Me - 13 (and I'm tempted to give myself 5 bonus for issuing the challenge!)
Morgan (with the smoke coming out of her ears) - 12 (which includes the credit for "Astoria" that Shufitz _didn't_ get for throwing three question marks after the entry.) (Plus, you look good in smoke!)
Tinman - 3 (triple credit for a palindromic entry!)
Kalleh - 0 (and I'm _very_ disappointed!)
Museamuse & Asa Lovejoy - 0 (though I'm sure their hearts were in the right place.)
Richard English - minus 3 (one more minus point for not entering.)
New members - NOTHING since I've seen no evidence that they even exist.
!

Hey ! What about me? I know I haven't suggested any names but I demand that you give me my score of 0 !

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what about our dear Bob? And Arnie? After all this grief that CJ has given me, I did a little looking on the internet regarding the rules to this game. It clearly states (though obviously ignored by CJ): "Insofar as players are treated unfairly, 5 extra points will be awarded to them. Furthermore, if the unfairness is adjudged severe by the offended players, 10 points will be subtracted from the offender". I cite that rule for the mistreatment to me, Richard, Bob, and Arnie as compared to the more than sweet comments made to Asa, Muse, and Tinman (2 points for "palindromic entries"?!) And, I adjudge the unfairness to be severe! So--you lose 10 points, CJ.

I have one: Anna (Illinois)

That gives Kalleh: 6 points.
Bob: 5 points
Richard: 2 points
Arnie: 5 points
CJ: 4 points minus 1 point for misspelling "eligible" = 3 points

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Fri Dec 13th, 2002 at 22:02.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I must admit, I was so mad mad that I missed the sympathy point. I will refuse it so as not to be too greedy (given my 5 extra points):
Andorra
Anguilla

7 points, and rising, for Kalleh! big grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You woke up the beast in me, CJ! eek
Adalusia, Alabama
Alpharetta, Georgia
Anapa, Russia
Aguila, Arizona
Alameda, California
Arvada, Colorado
Accra, Africa
Aurora, Illinois and Colorado
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Alamosa, Colorado

17 points for Kalleh!

posted Hide Post
quote:
...no one here but myself and an extremely schizophrenic Kalleh/Morgan/Sarah/pick one.

Dear Lord! I am Morgan, not schizo! But I love's ya anyway CJ. wink

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Abyssinia
Assyria
Alta (the ski resort)
Alta Vista (California)

P.S. CJ, your Almathea (excellent!) opens up new vistas on high. I agree though that we're not going astronomical, so I'll omit the constellation Andromena, etc.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Do we count mythical places, like Shakespeare's Arcadia?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do we count mythical places, like Shakespeare's Arcadia?_

I thought Arcadia was in California. Of course, that is a mythical place. There are a few other US towns I can think of, but I would have to check to verify. Is that allowed? The towns I'm thinking of are Alta Vista, Altoona, Alhambra, and Alma. Without checking, I can't guarantee that I'm not misremembering.

Tinman

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Kalleh is correct! I rechecked the official rules (all 12,000+ pages of them as translated from the original Arabic) and discovered that they are far more complex than she described. Through a long series of bonus points and penalties, an astounding coincidence has occurred - Everyone posting an entry to this challenge is presently in an exact tie for first place! We're all at 157 points each. Who'd a thunk it?!

Seeing as how this would seem to be an ideal place to wrap this up, in accordance with the applicable section of the rules, I hereby declare that the termination time for this challenge will be 09:15, Dec 14, 2002. Sorry, but no other entries may be accepted after that time. Thanks to one and all for your participation.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Whoa! Just thought of another one:

English Channele

Seeing as how this entry uses the archaic spelling of "channel" (as in "Ye Olde English Channele") the rules say I only get a half a point for it, but still...

Final standings:
Me - 157 1/2
Everyone else - 157

Phew! That was a close one! And before you start, let me advise you that any arguing with the final standings will result in penalties assessed against your score. Sorry about that but rules are rules!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Phew! That rule of "gray matter only" was beginning to wear me down.

But a word question: "any arguing with the final standings will result in penalties assessed against".

Is there a term for such a provision (in, say, a contract) where invoking argument triggers a penalty?

posted Hide Post
"Seeing as how this entry uses the archaic spelling of "channel" (as in "Ye Olde English Channele")"

Which is, of course, a complete load of old cobblers!

I would have joined in but I've been in Jersey for four days (that's the real Jersey, by the way, not the upstart "New Jersey")

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:

English Channele

Seeing as how this entry uses the archaic spelling of "channel" (as in "Ye Olde English Channele") the rules say I only get a half a point for it, but still...

Final standings:
Me - 157 1/2
Everyone else - 157

Sorry about that but rules are rules!

There is no such word as channele. It's not found in the AHD, M-WCD or the OED. Ten point penalty for such flagrancy! Yes, flagrancy is a word, dating from 1599. It's found in those three dictionaries I mentioned; you know, the ones that don't contain channele. Your rules say the word must begin and end with the letter a. Another ten point penalty. "Sorry about that but rules are rules!"

Final standings:

C J - 137
Everone else - 157

Tinman

posted Hide Post
Quote:

"...At a very early age I decided that if ever I was able to found my own nation, that my flag would be made up of the colors pink, puce, and magenta just to screw with the Olympics people..."

Although there are exceptions from those emergent nations whose knowledge of the rules of flag design parallel CJ's, most flags conform to them. This means that pink, puce and magenta are not permitted since they are not heraldic colours. Flags should use the 7 colours of heraldry (gules, vert, azure, purpure, sable, tenne and sanguine) and the two metals (or and argent).

The only allowed exceptions are charges proper, when natural colours are allowed (the cedar tree used in the Lebanese flag is an example of such use)

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Quote: "...There is no such word as channele. ..."

As I said earlier, the suggestion that there was is a load of cobblers. And for US readers I can tell you that "cobblers" is another example of cockney rhyming slang.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, thank you Tinman and Richard! big grin Tinman, I will now give you back that 2 points for the palindromic entry. Richard, we in the U.S. are a bit less proper; we just say, "That's a load of crap"!

Richard, two questions about the flag colors: Why 2 red colors? Why no white?

posted Hide Post
White is argent (silver). I don't know why there are two reds. I can only report what I know; I wasn't involved in the decision-making process!

Richard English

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
OK, first off, the "English Channele" was obviously (or so I thought) a joke but I hereby disqualify myself from the competition for confusing my A's with my E's. Don't know what I was thinking!

Sidenote to Kalleh: This is another example where the apostrophe comes in handy, though some would say that the capitilization of the letter pluralized would be sufficient. I could agree (more or less) in the case of "Mind your Ps and Qs" (even while preferring "p's and q's") but with the letter A, "As" looks too much like a typo for "Ass." And while it's true that my "English Channele" entry was a horiible gaffe (and I truly am mortified; I had thought I was being so freaking clever!) when all is said and done it is clearly seen that I was confusing my A's with a hole in the ground!

My apologies to all.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although there are exceptions from those emergent nations whose knowledge of the rules of flag design parallel CJ's, most flags conform to them. This means that pink, puce and magenta are not permitted since they are not heraldic colours.

Rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules, rules!!!

If I'm the founder of my own country, I'll have my flag any way I chose!

I've actually put an embarassingly large amount of time into considering different aspects of what my country would be like. One is that the National Anthem would be "Let's All Chant" and that when it was played, instead of standing with one's hand over one's heart, everyone would be required to dance the National Dance which would be, needless to say, a bit eccentric.

Also, everyone would be required to speak in an Italian accent no more genuine that Chico Marx used to use, particularly when toasting my country or its benevolent leader (yes, that would be me) with the National Toast:

"Long live the government-a!
"Forever fly the pink, puce and magenta!"

I'll be taking applications for visas shortly. Order early - I expect a rush!

A P.S.:
I reread this after posting it (you know how you only spot some typos after that point) and discovered, to my possibly childish delight, that the first two lines form a poem, possibly something along the lines of what Ogden Nash might have come up with after far too many beers, English or otherwise.

Possibly a sign of hidden genius, do you think? Very hidden, maybe??

posted Hide Post
Of course you may. If you wish to align yourself with certain emergent nations whose flags do not conform and have little heraldic or even artistic merit, that is your right.

I would sooner align myself with the likes of the USA and the UK whose proud and distinctive flag designs manage to be thus without breaking any rules.

Why not try a pink cross on a magenta background with a puce border. That should make sure that nobody with any sense of artistic sensibility would ever steal your country's flag (except, perhaps, to burn it)

Richard English

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
That's it R.E. No visa for you!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, Professor Arnie, whom I have the utmost respect for, taught me NOT to use an apostrophe with "Ps" and "Qs", though it would only make sense to use it with "A's".
I have to say that the one who threw me on apostrophes is our beer connoisseur. On the FOTA board he said that you have to look at ownership. I had asked about the Massachusetts' Board of Nursing. Do they own the Board of Nursing? Well, maybe...more so than Vermont or New York does. Does using apostrophes really become that technical?

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
CJ noted:
Almathea - one of the moons of Jupiter. And Yes, IT IS a geographical name. Turns out there's also another Jovian moon beginning and ending with the letter A and that Almathea was named for the goat that suckled Zeus. Oh, those wacky ancient Greek gods!
Almost all of Jupiter's sixteen satellites were named after minor characters in Zeus' life, mainly his lovers, female or the occasional male. (I leave aside the question of whether Zeus' "dealings" with Leda were consensual sensualism, or rape.)

P.S. This post is based on research I did some time ago. On updating, I find that at least one site lists 39(!) satellites, twelve of them unnamed, 21 of them discovered in 2000 or later.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
...twelve of them unnamed...

Aha! Here's my chance!

Is there any info on that site regarding how one might go about claiming one of those unnamed moons with an eye towards establishing a new country? I've already got an official National Toast and Anthem, I just need a bit of real estate.

For the flag, I'm considering a puce background, a pink border and, in the middle, a magenta drawing of a blissfully smiling R.E. drinking from a can of Budweiser.

Pending extensive background checks and other considerations (primarily their agreement) I hereby nominate Kalleh and Morgan to the positions of Ladies-in-Waiting (so bring a book), Tinman to Court Researcher Extraordinaire, shufitz as Grand Vizier, Asa Lovejoy as Overseer of the Royal Harem (a slight sacrifice may be required on your part but think of the travel opportunities), and Bob Hale as the Official-I-left-him-out-of-the-last-competition-standings-and-he-complained-so-let's-find-him-something-decent-here,-maybe-Ambassador-to-the-other-moons. And R.E. can have exclusive rights to all Rolls dealerships.

Now we've got something, by Jove!