Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Hard to believe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard to believe Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I have no idea who she is but is this "celebrity" really this ignorant of the world or is it just an act?
Can one of my American colleagues enlighten me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cey35bBWXls

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I think her name is Kelly Pickler and she was a contestant on American Idol a few years ago. She is really that dense. I saw her on the original show and she is basically brain-dead.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Definitely she is more stupid than most Americans - but, to be honest, Americans are pretty bad on geography. Here is a good example.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There really are people that ignorant. At least she's pretty. Do you remember Jade Goody from Big Brother, Bob? Even if you never watched the show she became a minor 'celebrity' on the back of her lack of general knowledge.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well, if you say so. But I find it hard to believe that someone doesn't know that France is a country. What did she think it was - a fast food franchise?

<Proofreader>
posted
I saw it the other day but can't find it today. YouTube had something about dumb things said by celebrities and, speaking of geography, one American singer said she didn't want to go to Canada because she didn't like going overseas.

<Proofreader>
posted
Speaking of hard to believe, this video has some hard to believe origins of various foods.

posted Hide Post
But, Proof, you CAN get to Canada "overseas," via Seattle to Queen Charlotte or Vancouver Island, or from Maine to Canada by going east.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting video, Proof. I really thought French toast came from France, but whatever. And fortune cookies aren't Chinese? Spaghetti and meatballs aren't Italian? Oh my.

Bob, I'd also think everyone would have heard of France - that was ridiculous. However, people in Europe are closer to all the European countries and they travel there more frequently, so they will be more knowledgeable about European geography. However, not knowing France is a country is shameful.

posted Hide Post
I have a workmate whose former wife's name is Kenya. I asked her if she was named for her family's country of origin, and she looked puzzled. She had no idea that there WAS a country of that name. And these creatures are allowed to vote!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Bob, I'd also think everyone would have heard of France - that was ridiculous. However, people in Europe are closer to all the European countries and they travel there more frequently, so they will be more knowledgeable about European geography. However, not knowing France is a country is shameful.

Sure, I get that and if she hadn't known (for example) that Andorra, Liechtenstein or Montenegro were countries, well, fair enough I suppose. But France? How can ANYONE not know it's a country? What could she possibly have thought it was, if not a country?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Believe me. I know. What a fool. I wondered if she was just being cutesy and really knew.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
How can ANYONE not know it's a country? What could she possibly have thought it was, if not a country?

The ignorance of some Americans is incomprehensible, especially among conservative politicians chairing science panels. One head admitted he doesn't believe in evolution while another claimed that Mars has the same temperature as Earth. And they're running the country.

posted Hide Post
Even the BBC's writers can seem brain-dead at times! There's a headline in the on-line BBC news stating that a truck carrying piglets overturned in Daytona, Ohio. Dayton is in Ohio; Daytona is in Florida. Oh, well, they got the right country.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, but. They did at least get the right country. Dayton and Daytona are a smallish cities, though it's all relative, I know. I am not sure I'd expect someone from another country to have heard about them.

However, as to Proof's post, I think in every country we have a normal curve of "informed" people. Not sure the U.S. is worse than other countries, though we do have our dunderheads!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, the distribution of 'informed' people, as Kalleh puts it, would fit the standard bell curve. As such, there are always outliers (at both ends of the curve).

I consider myself to be placed on the 'well informed' end although definitely not an outlier. I've have heard of both Dayton and Daytona, but without resorting to the internet wouldn't be able to name the state either is in, or any other details, apart from I think Daytona has car races. (Or is that Dayton?)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post