Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Sound-effect-as-word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound-effect-as-word Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
In another thread there is mention of the "use/mention" or "word-as-word" distinction. I observed a similar phenomenon at a comedy gig last night.

Andy Hamilton was getting the audience to do some sound effects for his Christmas special of "Old Harry's Game".
Specifically half of us were damned souls in hell making groaning noises and screaming when the "demons" up in the balcony threw their spears at us.

In the middle of the chorus of groaning a single voice at the back suddenly and very clearly said the word "OUCH".

The whole place, including Andy Hamilton, just cracked up laughing.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In case you're confused, like I was, by mention of "Old Harry's Game", see the Wikipedia article.

I confess I hardly ever listen to the radio nowadays, Bob. That series looks pretty good. I do enjoy Andy Hamilton's stuff.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post