Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Why no alt code for lambda?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why no alt code for lambda? Login/Join

posted
As it says above, I wonder why all the Greek alphabet can't be represented in windows alt codes? "∩" (alt 1007)is as close as you can get - and that ain't it! Even when you flip a Roman letter "V" it converts from upper case to lower case.! "ʌ" isn't like "V," as you see. Helllllp!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How are you using them?

[I'll let our computer geniuses here answer your question.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
How are you using them?

Poorly! Actually, I was gonna post a curmudgeonly bit about businesses using Lambda in place of "A" in their names. For instance, KIA is, according to their logo, "KIL," since they omit the crossbar in "A." Do you REALLY want to get KILled? Saturn's nameplate says SLTURN, and my computer monitor, which is supposedly AOC, says LOC - a brand of soap sold by Amway. Well, now I've gone and posted it anyway, but it would have been better with a proper Lambda - and its own thread.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't think you can access those Unicode letters past 255. The easiest way to get the lambda (capital one I'm assuming) is to just copy and past: Λ (I'll give you lowercase lambda for free λ).

I hardly ever use the the Alt-codes anymore. Here's what you can do:

1. Install a Greek keyboard and then switch between it and your US English one.

2. Use the Character Map utility (I assume you're using Windows 'cause Alt-codes don't work on the other OSes.)

3. Look in Wikipedia for the article on lambda (link) and copy and paste.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Z. That's just what I did with Russian, so now I can switch from Roman to Cyrillic alphabet at a click. Thus can I write "Л," the Russian equivalent, but it's not quite Greek. Only trouble is, you've gotta remember what key is for what non-Roman letter. Confused