Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    How about putting some effort into proofreading!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about putting some effort into proofreading! Login/Join

posted
Deleted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Does having a high IQ equate to good typing and proofreading skills? I wouldn't have thought so. Many well-known people were famously bad spellers; Einstein and JFK come to mind, although I've no idea if they were members of MENSA. I don't think there's much doubt that they were intelligent, though.

It's only my conjecture, but I'd have thought that the truly intelligent are quite likely to prove poor spellers, prefering not to let the mundane niceties of orthography interrupt the flow of their brilliant thoughts.

Besides, typists and proofreaders are not renowned for their intelligence, with the notable exception of a particular member of this board, of course! Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Many well-known people were famously bad spellers; Einstein and JFK come to mind..

Dear me all Einstein's frailties are well-known, aren't they? My mother often repeated (while we all waited for my youngest sibling to start talking) that "Einstein didn't say a word until he was four". I read online that he also smoked like a chimney and cheated constantly on his wife.

Lucky for the rest of us we're not so intelligent that people have to find everything we're not so good at!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
proofreaders are not renowned for their intelligence, with the notable exception of a particular member of this board, of course!

Well said!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many well-known people were famously bad spellers
Am I well-known? Nah, I guess not. However, I am a notoriously bad speller. Word helps me out quite often. Wink

I am sorry I missed the original post.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This isn't so much proofreading as cultural ignorance: A friend went to see the newest "Karate Kid" ripoff clone movie and noted that it takes place in China. Karate = Japan; Kung Fu = China. How could they be so obtuse?

<Proofreader>
posted
Hollywood dosn't stive for acuracy. I remember n old film about Quantrill's raid which showed his soldiers firing Winchester lever-action rifles, which weren't made till ten years later.

posted Hide Post
But Henry repeaters might have been used. As I recall, Winchester stole the Henry patent.

Edit: I just checked: Most of the raiders used pistols. Oh, welllll...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Not really connected but Geoff's post about Karate Kid somehow brought it to mind so I'll put it here anyway.

When I was travelling one of things that became immediately obvious in China was the number of bootleg and pirated products that were available. This is especially true of western CDs which are on sale in pirated versions more or less everywhere. The discs themselves are usually reasonably well done but the sleeves are often recreated with a strange selection of errors in the typing of the artists and track names. My favourite when I was looking round in Lijiang was "The Best of Bry and Adam" which on closer inspection was meant to be "The Best of Bryan Adams".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would they have done with "The Best of Frye and Laurie," I wonder?

posted Hide Post
Most people go to the hospital BEFORE surgery!

Here's a news headline I saw on-line:
Zsa Zsa Gabor Hospitalized After Surgery

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
But Henry repeaters might have been used. As I recall, Winchester stole the Henry patent.

There are obvious differences between the Henry (which would have been in short supply at that date) and the Winchester 1873, especially the 1973's easily seen wooden forestock.

My favorite is the anchor who reports that two head of cattle had gotten loose. He said according to police they were named Black and Gus. The other reporter clued him in to his mistake (see this video).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a news headline I saw on-line:
Zsa Zsa Gabor Hospitalized After Surgery

She is pretty old so you're probably right about this particular headline.

However, it could be true. It used to be that people were hospitalized a day or two before their surgery for all the prep work. These days many people come in early in the morning before their surgery, having done all the prep work before, have surgery, and then are hospitalized. However, even in that case technically I suppose one could say they were hospitalized first.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Could have been worse. It could have read

Zsa Zsa Gabor Euthanized After Surgery

posted Hide Post
That would be worse? Euthanasia is mercy killing.
Hmmmm.... I wonder why The Grateful Dead weren't called The Euthanasiacs? Roll Eyes