Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    It's the kids I feel sorry for.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's the kids I feel sorry for. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From a report in today's TES.

quote:

Materials sent to schools as part of the Government's flagship national literacy strategy are riddled with grammatical errors, the British Educational Research Association conference was told last week.
Academics found a number of mistakes, including confusion over tenses, incorrect rules and poor quality writing tips...

The Year 7 spelling bank... lists "autopsy" alongside "autobiography" as an example of the use of the prefix "auto" to denote things done by oneself.
Other errors include saying that nouns which end in "-fe" always replace the "f" with a "v" when they become verbs. As a result "safe" becomes "save" or "saved" but "knife" becomes "knive" or "knived".

...the Year 7 spelling bank... (is) "intent on finding patterns and rules even when there are none"...

I think I'm most intrigued by the concept of a self-administered autopsy !

(Yes, I do know the origin of the word "autopsy" but I think that its English meaning is so far from the origin that it isn't a useful example of the auto- prefix, especially not when being presented as a spelling rule !)

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Read all about my travels around the world here.

[This message was edited by BobHale on Fri Sep 20th, 2002 at 12:49.]

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post