Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    post-racial
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

post-racial Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Timothy McNulty, the Public Editor from the Chicago Tribune, wrote an interesting article about the term "post-racial." What does it mean? Obama's camp says
quote:
"It's less about the struggle for racial justice and more about showing confidence that the tide of public sentiment is moving beyond the old racial wrongs,"
However, McNulty doesn't think it's that simple. Some might take it to mean that we are beyond racism, but it doesn't of course...and we aren't of course. McNulty concludes with this interesting thought:
quote:
I used the words wistful and unreal at the beginning of this column because while language is a precursor to significant change, just saying it doesn't make it true. It seems to me that whenever people use the term post-racial, it is always about candidates who are not white. What does that tell you?

How would you define the term?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it so certainly couldn't define it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Like arnie, I have never heard the term. Any guess I could make would be based on what "post" means and what "racial" means and would be along the lines of a distant future society where all races had inter-married so much that there was only one race on the planet.

This strikes me as very unlikely to be anything like any current meaning, especially as people seem to insist on misdefining "racial" to mean "racist".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This reminds me somewhat of the term 'post-feminist', to which a common response is "I'll be a post-feminist in the post-patriarchy".

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post