Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Don't border collie me!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't border collie me! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know we've talked verbalizing nouns here before, but I just read a great one today:

[The context was an immigration discussion.]
"Holding thick files, lawyers in charcoal suits sit at tables, keeping watch over their flocks of 10. Multiple burly ICE agents border collie the detainees in and out, seldom speaking, pointing mostly."

Border collie them in and out? Nice!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Although Border Collies are of course well-know, several other breeds are used as sheepdogs. Hmm ... "... agents sheepdog the detainees ..."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Somehow the image of an IRS agent running to and fro nipping at the heels of an illegal just doesn't work.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yesterday afternoon I was touring a bus-customizing company that makes Mobile Command Units for US Border Patrols. They also happen to make Book Mobiles, which is why we were there. I really wanted to tour the big government thing, but I suppose if I went inside they'd have to kill me. Ha!

I love the image of border collies - do you think it was the whole "border" thing that inspired that term instead of using the sheepdog image?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post