Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Thanks. I will.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks. I will. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
On Wolverhampton station there is a facility where, if you have dog, you can fill a dog bowl with water so that your pet doesn't go thirsty. That's fine. What confuses me is the sign above it which reads

This facility is for the
use of our four-legged
friends.

Please quench your thirst
with our best wishes.

Even in Wolverhampton most of the dogs are unable to read so what I want to know is this... who exactly does the "your" in the second sentence refer to?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
who exactly does the "your" in the second sentence refer to?

Well, technically, they are (y)our friends either. I think the you refers to (y)our four-legged friends. People speak with their pets as though they can understand English, and some even go far enough to assert that they do.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nah. I think they think dogs can read.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's a sign in most London buses that reads in part:
quote:
Please do not talk to or obstruct the driver's vision while the bus is in motion
How does one talk to the driver's vision? Confused

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
By getting right in his face as you natter on and on?

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quoth arnie: "How does one talk to the driver's vision?" It might be possible, based on some recent research! http://www.wesleyan.edu/psyc/m...lume02/article03.pdf and

http://www.scientificamerican....ind-see-with-tongues

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post