Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Beer lovers unite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beer lovers unite Login/Join

posted
Although this has nothing to do with words, many of us including Kalleh, arnie, Rich, Flo, and Chaz among many others, are lovers of the brew and that's why I use a link so as not to burden arnie's hard drive (no pun)

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&postid=202183#post202183

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I used to be a regular contributor to this board but haven't been these for some weeks.

I have met, and drunk with, several of the contributors and have enjoyed their company.

Some day I might go back, but not yet.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Flo and Chaz? Not sure who they are!

I wish I could get a word post out of this, but failing that, here is a great article about an upcoming legal fight about distributing beer in America. Since the 1930s there have been laws that essentially make beer distributors in America monopolies. Once you sign up, you can't quit. One craft brewery, Bells in Michigan, refused to continue with his distributor and therefore pulled out of Illinois. His distributor had sold the business to another that pushed the macro-brews, such as Budweiser. Well, now Bells has a new brand, Kalamazoo Royal Amber Ale, and they've hired a new distributor to promote and sell it. Naturally, the old distributor will probably sue Bell's, as well as the new distributor. This will be fun to watch!

[Who can make a word post out of this? Wink]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
regarding the name Kalamazoo..

The city is named for the Kalamazoo River, but there is debate as to where the name Kalamazoo actually comes from. It is generally thought that the name originates in the language of either the Potawatomi or Odawa peoples who were native to the area at the time of European settlement.

The common phrase "from Timbuktu to Kalamazoo" resulted from the strange name, and has served to enter it into pop culture. Today, t-shirts are sold in Kalamazoo that feature the phrase "Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo". There are numerous songs that reference the city name in lyrics and title, including "Down on the Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival, "I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash, "I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo" by Glenn Miller, "Kalamazoo" by Ben Folds, "Kalamazoo" by Primus, "Kalamazoo" by Dr. Freeman and the Defenders of the Universe, and "Kalamazoo" by Luna.. The word also features in the opera "Einstein on the Beach" by Philip Glass. In addition an indie film, "Kalamazoo?" , featured the city as a backdrop. [thanx to Wiki]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tsuwm,

posted Hide Post
K thank you most kindly for that link. Forthwith I shall forward it to my excellent No. 2 Son who shares my enthusiasm about the Brew

Rich good to hear from you again, wish you could be here to share a few topnotch brews with my No.2 Son and I

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Rich good to hear from you again, wish you could be here to share a few topnotch brews with my No.2 Son and I

Columbus, Ohio, weekend of 23 May 2008.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rich I'm ot much of a traveler but I hope you enjoy your visit and you must try some of our new microbrews, excellent in every way

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

posted Hide Post
Many of your fellow Wordcrafters will be there and, as was the case when we met this year in Chicago, many of the USA's better beers will be sampled.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I envy allaya