Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Einstein's Wife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Einstein's Wife Login/Join

posted
We have talked previously about intelligent and talented women being ignored or slighted by history. One such person was Rosalind Franklin (Feb. 26, 2003). Another I have recently learned about is Mileva Maric, Albert Einstein's first wife.

I have always admired Einstein. He was a brilliant man, I think you will all agree. So I was saddened and enraged to hear of the great man's human failings. The 1990 discovery of love letters between Einstein and Maric apparently reveals his seedier side.

The first I heard of this was from a PBS program, "Einstein's Wife: Maria Maric".

Andrea Gabor wrote Einstein's Wife, in which she chronicles Maric's life. Einstein and Maric first met in 1896 when they were both students at the Swiss Fereral Polytechnic (ETH) in Zurich, and quickly fell in love, Einstein being attracted by her considerable intellect. They shared their love of science, knowledge, music and, of course, each other. Things were rosy at first, but began to deteriorate after a few years. He treated Maric and his children shamefully. It appears that Maric may have contributed significantly to Einstein's theories.

Wikipedia also has a short article about her.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Tinman, those articles were most elucidating! Of course, they leave me with more questions than answers. Previously I had read that Maria had done much of the math for Albert, but according to the Wikepedia article that is controversial; the PBS article didn't mention it.

However, the PBS alluded to the possibility that Albert had abused Maria. I had not heard that before at all. I was also amazed to read that both Maria and Albert had failed their final exams!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AE is supposed not to have talked until he was three years old, too. (Or is that old stuff? I didn't read the articles.)

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I didn't see that, Haberdasher. Hmmm, it may be related to his flunking his medical exams (I did see that!)! Maybe this relativity stuff is all bunk! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post