Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Standard or Not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard or Not? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
The changover to Daylight Saving Time this weekend brings up this question:
Has "DST" become "Standard" time, since it now takes up eight months of the year?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has becme silly! Why don't we all just adopt international standard time? The reason behind DST is gone, and so should it!

Geoff the Grouch

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you call DST "Standard Time," then what does "Standard Time" become?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"Almost Standard" time

posted Hide Post
How about "Sub Standard Time"?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know in the travel and transport industries hates time changes. They are very expensive to deal with - the more so since not all countries change at the same time - and they confuse customers. Every time there's a clock change you can be sure some people will miss a service by forgetting to change their clocks.

Most countries - China being just one - manage without changing their clocks at all (and indeed China manages to cope with just one time zone across the entire country).

The UK will not change its clocks at the same time as the USA in 2012 - in common with most northern Eurpoean countries we will change on 25 March.

For those of us who have to deal with the irritations of time changes, there is a list of the changes in most countries of the world here - http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2012.html

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I absolutely think we could do without changing the clocks. I hate it that it's so dark in the morning now. It's worse for us because we are right on the edge of the time zone.

I agree, proof, CST really is CDT.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
we are right on the edge of the time zone.

So one misstep and you're off the clock?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
One misstep and we're on eastern time...though since that would mean Indiana, yeah, we're off the clock, too. Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post