Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Am I on acid or what?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I on acid or what?! Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted
In another thread, FatStan responded to what I considered to be a perfectly logical response to a previous post by asking me if I were on acid. Rather than go off on yet another tangent with what that brought to mind, I thought I would start a new thread about an aspect of English that I don't believe has been covered here.

In short, what are your favorite slang terms relating to illicit drug culture?

Rules:

1.) First off, anyone denying any knowledge of this subject, particularly if they are over the age of 50, will be disbelieved.

2.) There are statutes of limitations involved and, while extensive confessions are not specifically what I'm soliciting here, all Wordcrafters may feel free to vent their spleens (and where did that revolting expression come from?!) without fear of doing hard time as a result of teenage fun and games from the 60's. Of course, if you've got a meth lab in your basement today, this board might not present the best forum for you to brag about it.

3.) R.E., beer is not a drug!

4.) Any slang term may be discussed but I, for one, would be most interested in terms that didn't receive wide attention outside of one's own local area.

Allow me to submit:
H.T.T. as in "The only drug he ever took was H.T.T."

It stood for "Here, take this" and was used to denote someone who would willingly partake of whatever was handed him or her at a party but who could be counted upon to never bring drugs him/herself or chip in to buy more when supplies ran low. A good head, maybe, but cheap.

And I assume you all know the difference between "pins" and "thumbs"?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In answer to Your question, CJ, YES!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to disappoint you, C J. I have never done any drugs, smoked anything, had a cup of tea, or even a cup of coffee! I get drunk on half a wine cooler (which I only have once or twice a year). What can I say? Confused

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never done any drugs, smoked anything, had a cup of tea, or even a cup of coffee!
I tend to need at least ten hits a day of tea or coffee. When I'm at home I'll ingest tea all day. At work the sandwich bar nearby has no idea how to make tea - it uses the same (non-boiling) water to make the tea as the coffee. I therefore drink coffee - which is not great, but better than the tea. Wink

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Morgan said:
quote:
I get drunk on half a wine cooler
Try drinking it out of a glass next time. Big Grin

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
If alcohol is not a drug, then I have never taken drugs and probably never will. I do not like smoking and have a needle phobia - and I know enough about drug-taking to be aware that these are two of the common methods of drug use.

So sorry, CJ, you may believe I am a liar; you have every right to your beliefs, be they right or wrong.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
CJ, you'll just have to disbelieve whatever you want to disbelieve.

I can list in detail the various anti-malarial prophylactics that I've taken and I've been immunised against everything from Japanese Encephalitis to Flu but the ONLY recreational drug I have any first hand knowledge of is alcohol.

(Mind you, you can get some pretty horrible nightmares fro Mefloquin or Larium as it's more commonly called - if anyone doesn't know, it's an anti-malarial with some pretty severe side-effects.)

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that's the concoction I had to take when I visited Sri Lanka! I began to think that maybe Malaria might be more pleasant...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I have a feeling that's the concoction I had to take when I visited Sri Lanka! I began to think that maybe Malaria might be more pleasant...

Richard English

In a significant minority of cases (I can't remember the exact figure but it's around a couple of per cent) Larium causes disruption to sleep patterns and vivid dreaming. The dreams are often very disturbing and so vivid that they are nearly indistinguishable from reality.
I can still remember now Larium dreams I had several years ago - more clearlythan I can remember events from the same time.

In a much smaller group of patients (though still around one in a thousand I think) Larium has more serious side effects. It can cause paranoia and various psychoses.
One woman I travelled with became utterly convinced that her father had died while she was gone and could not be disuaded even by speaking t him on the phone.

The comedian Paul Merton spent several months in a clinic after taking Larium and dope at the same time (I knew there'd be a connection to the thread topic). He had become convinced that the Duke of Edinburgh's brother was trying to kill him.

The effects are temporary providing the dosage is stopped immediately they are felt.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
OK, OK...

First off, thank you, Kalleh, for your enthusiastic "YES!"

For the rest of you (though I suspect interest is slight at best) "pins" are extremely thin marijuana cigarettes (AKA "joints," a term I assume you all are familiar with liguistically if not through personal experience) while "thumbs" are the opposite. The difference used to be a good way of measuring how much your friends thought of you. If they rolled you a thumb, you were highly esteemed. If they rolled you a pin, well, not so much.

True dialog from my wild, impetuous youth:

A friend: Do you smoke?
Me: Tobacco?
The friend: Yeah.
Me: No.
The friend: (big, knowing smile and no comment)

R.E. & B.H., I have no problem accepting your druglessness, I just consider it a bit odd considering your (and, I'm quick to point out, MY) age and the state of the world back when we were young. And R.E., there's not a doubt in my mind that you would be a blast to get stoned with! If wildflowerchild were to crawl up into your lap and roll you a doobie I bet you'd partake but that's another matter...

Since I seem to be the only person willing to share experiences of this sort, allow me to end with one more term: Dope Toasties! Now doesn't that sound like a treat?

Dope Toasties are what are used in cooking with marijuana. First off, there is no such thing as "marijuana tea" and anyone who claims otherwise should be looked at with grave suspicion. Boil grass and the THC (Tetrahydracanibinol, the active ingredient) is lost to the air. BUT! If you put some marijuana into a frying pan with a bit of butter or shortening and heat it up slowly over a low heat, all that marijuana goodness will combine with the butter and, when the grass turns brown and you begin to see tiny wisps of smoke coming from it, congratulations, your Dope Toasties are done! They now may be used in your favorite brownie recipe or whatever. If you should be so rash as to simply throw a handful of good herb into your batter, the effect will not be the same, your brownies will be gritty, and you will have committed the head's cardinal sin of wastefullness.

Hmmm... Wonder what wildflowerchild's up to these days.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, but, CJ, you didn't ask the relevant question. Sure...perhaps someone has smoked a bit of weed, but has he/she inhaled????

posted Hide Post
I might indeed partake, but of what? that's the question.

Certainly it would not be of anything one smokes (is that what one does with a "doobie"?) since I have more respect for my lung tissue than to poison it with carcinogens.

So far as the "drug-taking generation" is concerned, I was one of the un-noticed majority that got on with life in a normal way, not one of the much publicised minority that misbehaved. In fact, the "flower-power" and "Beatnick era was after my teenage years; I was just too late to be a Teddy Boy and slightly too early to be a Mod. I would not, in fact, have been either since I saw no reason to involve myself with the puerile antics of such as these.

So far as wfc is concerned, sadly I no longer see her postings and nobody seems to know what has happened to her.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1957 which made me too young for all the peace and love, dope smoking, acid taking hippy stuff and way too old for the current ecstasy, crack generation.
As I've never felt the slightest urge to experiment with any of these substances (life being quite weird enough without altering my mind) I can't say this is a source of any great sorrow to me.
I sincerely doubt that whatever the circumstances I'd have been tempted anyway.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
...but has he/she inhaled????

Clinton's ridiculous claim aside, I real did encounter a person or two back in the day who would hold a joint between their lips but not inhale. Wanted to look cool but was afraid of freaking out, I suppose.

R.E., we're more or less on the same wavelength here. In order to dispell any suspicions that I am this board's major doobie consumer (the "Head Head," as it were) the last time I partook was about two years ago and, before that, you'd have to go back another 15 or more. It's a pleasant memory but not a major part of my life, past or present.

Regarding wfc and my mini-adventure two years ago, allow me to state for the record that marijuana consumption (again, back in the day) was often looked upon as a form of foreplay. When offered a bowlful (referring to a bong, not cereal) by an attractive female friend who seemed to be desirous of a physical relationship with me, a feeling I definitely reciprocated, I broke my 15+ year ganja fast and got high with her. The sad ending to the story, however, was that this was all she was interested in and the evening ended with her throwing me out of her place. Too wrecked to drive, I walked down the street to a Blockbuster's video outlet and spent about four hours reading the backs of pretty much every video in the entire place before it was safe for me to get behind the wheel again.

And, after all that time, I didn't even rent a video seeing as how I'm not a member of that chain. Can't imagine what the clerks must have thought!

One last drug term and then I'll let this thread die from apparent lack of interest: To Bogart. Verb, to waste precious herb by dangling a joint from one's lips in the manner of Humphrey Bogart "non-smoking" a cigarette in the 40's. Popularized in the song "Don't Bogart that Joint." It does not mean to be greedy or selfish with one's marijuana, as many have come to incorrectly believe (and I don't know why this still bugs me) but rather it is an admonition to not be wasteful.

That's it. I think I'll go get a beer.

posted Hide Post
In view of the dubious benefits that seem to accrue from consumption of the alternatives cited here, I feel that's probably a wise move.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, Richard. All kidding aside for a minute, there is no doubt in my mind (nor in the literature) that marijuana is associated with the use of much stronger and more addicting drugs. I'm all for keeping it illegal.

Also, CJ, honestly, I wonder how ridiculous Clinton's claim was. I wonder if sometimes kids don't feel pressured to look like they're smoking marijuana, in order to be accepted by the crowd. [However, this is from the only person in America who actually believes O.J. Simpson was innocent....no, I take that back. I just met someone the other day who thinks that, too. There are 2 of us.]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
First off, anyone denying any knowledge of this subject, particularly if they are
over the age of 50, will be disbelieved.
I'm 58, and an illicit drug virgin. I'm screwed up enough without adding that junk to my problems!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Curiouser and curiouser...

Now, B.H., before you begin to shudder in anticipation of me linking Lewis Carrol's work to the affects of illicit herb, let me assure you that this is not the case.

What I do find very curious is the general negative reaction to this subject. Let me assure one and all that I have no intention of trying to start an argument on the pros and cons of grass or, more importantly, accuse anyone of playing fast and loose with the truth. If you were a complete stoner in high school and now have a dozen very good and totally legitimate reasons for not fessing up to this side of your past, I completely understand.

(relevant side story) I once began a sexual relationship with a woman on our second date, a rarity in my experience but one which was right for this particular instance. Unfortunately, this was exactly the behavior she was discouraging in her teen-age daughter so when the daughter asked why we were in the bedroom with the door locked, my date lied to her impressionable offspring and told her that we were getting stoned which was totally untrue!! Is that bizarre?

I also completely accept the very real probability that everyone expressing innocence in this regard is being totally 100% truthful. It just strikes me as odd, is all. As widespread as casual marijuana experimentation was in the 60's and 70's, so many weedy virgins in one place just seems to be a statistical long shot. It's like everyone here steadfastly insisting they never danced to disco music in the 80's, another possibility that I free acknowledge. (Now there's an image - R.E. in a John Travolta white suit shaking his booty on a lighted dance floor!)

The origin of this thread, in keeping with the English language basis of the entire site, had to do with the language specific to illicit drug use. I thought this might be a more enjoyable topic of conversation for my fellow Wordcrafters than it turned out to be. No biggie.

Rather than branch out into a defense of the use of marijuana as being inately less problematic than that of alcohol (something I do believe) or responding on the O.J. comment above (something like "My God, Kalleh, were you stoned during the trial?" comes to mind.) I'll just let that the whole topic slide into its eventual no-posts-in-60-days obcurity.

One last thought, though. R.E., ever since I saw your picture on this site, it has seemed to me that we've met somewhere in the past and I've been wracking my brain trying to place just where. Are you sure you aren't that guy who used to sell loose joints at the Black Sabbath concerts??

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well, let's see.
I can't speak for anyone else who replied but my reply was meant to be factual rather than negative. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about people using recreational drugs. I suppose, if I had to come down on one side or the other, I'd come down on the side of personal freedom and personal responsibility. A lot of drug problems in society are probably caused not by the drugs per se but by the fact that they are illegal and therefore expensive and hard to obtain.

I wasn't being negative, just truthful.

However I must admit to taking severe offence at the suggestion that I might ever have danced at a disco in the '80s. I HAVE never danced at a disco in my life and demand that you retract this vile slander immediately.

posted Hide Post
I enjoy dancing. I spent a lot of time learning to dance in my last year at school.

I have all the necessary accoutrements that the proper dancer will have. Dinner jacket (tuxedo); black tie (that one ties oneself); patent leather shoes - and a partner who enjoys dancing as much as I. Sadly, we rarely get the chance to dance these days since there are very few dance halls or dance bands left. Even at functions advertised as dinner/dances, the music is all too often provided by a so-called "DJ" whose main talent seems to be that of cranking up the volume of his equipment so as to ensure that conversation is impossible.

So far as "discos" are concerned I rarely have and hope I never again will enter one. I dislike intensely the whole ambience - the excessive noise; the smoke; the "music" that rarely leaves common time; the disgraceful bar prices and the lack of anything that might pass for beer - thank you, but no. I have visited a few discos at the behest of friends and colleagues but to go there for pleasure - I would sooner walk barefoot over glowing coals!

As an adjunct might I remark that it is a common assumption that, because those in our own circle enjoy something, that thing must be popular. That is not necessarily the case. Our circle might enjoy it, but that's probably why it's our circle. If we like football, then we meet with others who share this curious like and then assume that, because everyone we know likes it, then everyone in the world likes it!

No, CJ. Most people in my circle are not involved with drugs, neither do they go the discos; I probably have more friends who own Rolls-Royces than friends who go to discos!

And, as a final point, could I say I have no idea who or what Black Sabbath is or was. My interest in popular music ends in about 1940.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I know no one who owns a Rolls-Royce, though there are a few Bentleys around. Wink

CJ, I agree with you that alcohol is a huge problem, too, and can cause havoc to the liver. However, marijuana, can lead to harder drugs, and I think can be more damaging in the long run. While I agree that this is not the place to discuss the pros and cons of marijuana, I have seen many studies linking it to cocaine and heroin use. I really don't want to be a wet blanket about it, and I do know that some people enjoy recreational drugs with no ill effects.

As for my O.J. Simpson comment, I am really not as naive as I sound. Yes, I did listen to much of the trial. However, I think we in the U.S. have forgotten the premises on which our legal system is based--innocence until proven guilty and the prosecution must prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Truly, in this case, people assumed O.J. to be guilty before he was tried and even after the jury pronounced him "not guilty". He very well may have committed the murder, but there most certainly was reasonable doubt.

However, my biggest concern for our legal system is what we do to our children. Prosecutors are trying 12 & 13 year olds as adults! They can't smoke, they can't drink, they can't vote or serve in the army, but they can get a life sentence? In Illinois we have seen many forced confessions of children as well as children who are falsely accused and then later acquitted due to DNA evidence. Remember, kids are not sophisticated enough to help their lawyers, nor do they really understand the ramifications of the charge.

Sorry--I will stop ranting!

posted Hide Post
The Rolls-Royce company took over the Bentley company in the early 1930s and all Bentleys were made by Rolls-Royce until Rolls-Royce was broken up and sold at the turn of this millennium.

Now Bentley is owned by VW and Rolls-Royce by BMW.

From around the mid-1950s Bentleys became badge-engineered versions of Rolls-Royces and remained thus until the 1990s.

I would think it probable that the Bentleys you know of were made by Rolls-Royce.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wondered about Bentleys; they, as well as Rolls-Royces, are rather uncommon here. However, when I used to pick up my kids from junior high, there was always someone in a Bentley waiting to pick up her child. I have seen a few Rolls-Royces on the expressways, but that's about it. The Mercedes is seen as the luxury car here, though the famous athletes have those really expensive sports cars.

posted Hide Post
Rolls-Royce have only made around 150,000 cars in their 100-year history. (GM probably make that many in three months!) So, although Rolls-Royce is probably the world's most well-known automotive brand name, few see them; fewer get to ride in one and even fewer get to own one.

Mercedes make a very good car and their production, too, is far greater than Rolls-Royce's - which is why you will see far more of them.

Richard English