Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Excellent excuse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excellent excuse Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
After a customer complained they had found a mouse's foot in a jar of pickles, the Slovenian minister sent this reply::

It is completely normal in big factories to have mice wandering around, and yes, every now and then they get caught amongst the machines and do get bottled, seasoned, preserved and even make it in one piece to consumers. Although not very pleasant to see, however, they pose no health threat at all. During the preservation process even traces of any salmonella bacteria are eliminated in food. A mice-foot therefore could be classified as a special additive to the pickles.

Slovenian Health Ministry spokeswoman Vivijan Potocnik

I thought only Cracker Jacks gave out prizes.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That has all the hallmarks of an urban legend. It doesn't appear in a search of Snopes, though. Can you cite a source, Proof?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I lost the source for some reason. It was in a Kindle version of "Stupid Things Said by People" although that is an approximation of the title. I stumbled on it and copied it directly. I agree it sounds very urbanish but the authors of the book have an entire series in the genre and have been quoted on NBC News.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I found this. I do agree, though, arnie, that it smells like an urban legend.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I looked on Snopes and they don't carry the story at all, so I don't think they consider it an urban legend.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No, I'd already checked Snopes. I also did some searching on "Vivijan Potocnik" and found about three references to this story, all citing each other. I couldn't see any other references to her, so it appears that the Slovenian Health Ministry doesn't make many announcements of interest, or they don't credit her with them.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure, Snopes doesn't have every urban legend. I wonder if we should send it to them.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post