Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Big winner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big winner Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Someone won the jackpot in Powerball, which was advertised as $421M. However, despite all the hype, the actual payout is about $238M. Is this fraud by the establishment?

Rather than starting aother thread, an ad for medical treatment stated they engage in a "multi-disciplinary program" Should't it be multi-disciplined"? I think of "disiplinary" as relating to punishment.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
To answer your first question - no, at least in the US where game show winnings are taxed. It would be highly dubious in the UK though because here game show winnings are not taxed. I believe the same rule applies to lottery wins.

As for your second question - I don't think I would have even noticed it if I was reading it in an article but now that you mention it... actually thinking about it multi-disiplined has the same ambiguity, doesn't it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Bob, the $238 is BEFORE taxes. My question related to the lottery's advertised claim that the prize for the jackpot was over $400M. There's a discrepancy of almost $200M, which is quite different than their ads tout.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Are you sure, Geoff, that it's before taxes? Why then the difference? I think it is after taxes.

As for the second question, multidisciplinary refers to the disciplines, whereas "multidisciplined" would, indeed, refer to being sanctioned, I think. At any rate, the bigwigs have now decided that the correct term for multidisciplinary (or interdisciplinary) programs is "interprofessional" programs because not all professons are disciplines. So interprofessional education is called IPE.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Are you sure, Geoff, that it's before taxes?

Hey! It's me.

A CBS News item (Wich wouldn't allow copying) said the "cash value was $238M, bfore taxes."
Apparently won by a group who will receive about $12M each. Perhaps you get the full amount if you take it in installments, but that's still deceptive.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Proof! I see - they don't like you to take it all at once. It does seem deceptive - yet, I think I could make it on $239M - it wouldn't be easy, but I'd manage. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post