Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    urban Amish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

urban Amish Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I hadn't heard the term urban Amish before, but today a 41 year old man wrote a letter to the newspaper saying he hasn't been on a computer, email, Blogs, and even doesn't use a cell phone. He called himself an urban Amish. I would have understood a 75-year-old saying that, but a 41 year-old?

When I first started on this site, one of my early threads was asking for a word to mean "computer unsavvy ." While this phrase isn't perfect, it surely is close to what I'd wanted (it's better than ninnyhammer). Heck, it only took 5 years. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't "Luddite" have the same connotation?

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Luddite seems nowadays to be negative, whereas Amish has the sense of quaintness without being a put-down, IMHO.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Luddites want to destroy technology, the Amish just want to withdraw from it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I had forgotten about Luddite.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
http://macnelly.com/ Go to February 28th

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, funny! Big Grin

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
What desperately bad navigation on that site! Is there any way to go to February 28th without pressing the "Previous" arrow, waiting for that page to load, then pressing it again ad nauseam?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I felt the same way, arnie. How annoying!

BTW, your use of "desperately" was interesting to me. Normally I see it to mean "having an urgent need."

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
You don't have to "wait for that page to load." Just click "PREVIOUS" twenty times and there you are.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Damn. I was about to tell him that. Jerry beat me to it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
a 41 year old man wrote a letter to the newspaper saying he hasn't been on a computer, email, Blogs, and even doesn't use a cell phone. He called himself an urban Amish. I would have understood a 75-year-old saying that, but a 41 year-old?

Words that come to my mind include:
pathetically backwards
head-in-the-sand simple
clueless

I also think luddite fits, along with the negative connotations. I don't think it's noble or quaint at all to avoid and/or eschew progress. Of course, I am of the opinion that technology is a wonderful, delightful tool/toy that is enhancing our society, and is not something to be feared.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jerry, I missed that. Still, it seems kind of archaic even when you do that. Doing it your way makes it much better, though.

I agree, CW. I can't imagine not using a computer. I can understand how some like IM and others like Blogs, while some like forums and others like Twitter and others only use Google and email...but to use none of it and to not even use your cell phone? And he's only 41? There's something wrong.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
that technology is a wonderful, delightful tool/toy that is enhancing our society, and is not something to be feared.

Terminator I, II and III

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Hey, those were great* movies! They were also fiction. We can barely get a word processor to compile and work, let alone build liquid metal androids. (Now where did I put my sense of humo(u)r?)

* Well, at least the first two were.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Fiction is often tomorrow's reality.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
(Ah. Found it!)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Fiction is often tomorrow's reality.

Based on those assinine TV shows, I fear that "reality" is today's fiction.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In just two more days from today, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
22 + 2 - 1 = yesterday. Jerry's Law of Relativity is proven..