Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    pomace, pumice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pomace, pumice Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
During the course of today's chat, I used (and misspelled) the word pomace. I wondered if it was related to pumice. Pomace is from Medieval pōmācium 'cider' from Vulgar Latin pōma 'apple'. Pumice is from Late Latin pōmex from Latin pūmex, variant of spūma 'foam'. The context was about the Italian beverage grappa 'a kind of brandy' (distilled from the pomace left over from winemaking).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of words in English which appear similar, but come from Latin roots. I'm drawing a blank right now, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a couple.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sean, you really should join us on a chat sometime.

Zmj, I found your etymology for pumice (online AHD). However, I also found this, which seems to me to be different, though I am not always good at understanding some of the abbreviations associated with etymologies:

"Origin: bef. 1000; < L pūmic-, s. of pūmex pumice stone; r. ME pomis(e), pomish(e), pomice < MF pomis < L; cf. OE pumic- (< L), in pumicstān pumice stone; see pounce3"

That would tell me that pumice comes from the Latin word for stone, and in that etymology (Random House Unabridged Dictionary, online) it says nothing of being a variant of spuma 'foam.'

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

I'd suggest your etymology doesn't go back far enough. The Romans would of course be familiar with pumice, with Mount Vesuvius and other volcanoes nearby, so they had their own word. Your dictionary doesn't give the etymology of their word, pomex.

The Online Etymology Dictionary says '... from PIE *poimo-, with connotations of "foam, froth." '

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
One of my Latin etymological dictioanries repeats that pūmex variant of spūma. Pokorny has two entries for the PIE roots *(s)p(h)jēu- (/ (s)pjū-, (s)pīw-) 'to spew, spit' whence Latin spuo 'to spew, spit' (which some connect with spūma) and (s)poimno- 'foam, froth; spray, spume' pūmex and spūma. The only other languages cited for related words in the latter entry are Ossetic (a kind of Persian), English foam, Old Prussian (an extinct Baltic language), and Old Church Slavonic.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see you are correct, Arnie.

What is "Old Church Slavonic?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What is "Old Church Slavonic?"

It's the Slavic language into which the bible was first translated. It is sometimes called Old Bulgarian. As the oldest written Slavic language, it is important for the historical study of Slavic languages.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.